Federal Judge Says Photographing Police Not Always Protected by 1st Amendment

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think about this? Will we get in trouble for taking pictures of police officers doing their duties?

Everyone wants to take a photo of a cop on a horse in NYC, will they just get thrown in jail because of that? I think they should be focusing on more criminal activities then some person with a camera that's not causing any harm.

I'm slightly worried about the future of photography.

So now we have to 'be critical' of the po-po in order to exercise our 1A rights?

That's a very bad precedent.

"An appeal is reportedly planned in response to Judge Kearney’s decision."

NSS

I'm slightly worried about the future of photography The Constitution.
FIFY

What do you think about this? Will we get in trouble for taking pictures of police officers doing their duties?

Everyone wants to take a photo of a cop on a horse in NYC, will they just get thrown in jail because of that? I think they should be focusing on more criminal activities then some person with a camera that's not causing any harm.

Why are you worried about the future of photography because of this decision?
I really dislike the argument "they should be focusing on more criminal activities". I see that argument all the time. Different police forces have different officers doing different jobs in different departments. One officer doing his job that might focus on a bylaw or something that is not a violent crime does not mean that other crimes aren't being focused on. It's an argument that makes absolutely no sense to me.

As for taking pictures of a police officer on a horse, there's this really cool think that sometimes works, it's called asking. Every time I've asked, they have never had an issue.

Last edited:
So now we have to 'be critical' of the po-po in order to exercise our 1A rights?

This is what we get when judges find their law degrees in a box of Crackerjack.©

That really sucks. In a public venue, generally, most anything is free game. The police should not have any additional privileges above and beyond an average citizen. So what if you're in Times Square and shoot a scene, photograph a corner where there's an undercover cop ... does that give him/her the right to arrest you? You take a selfie and there'a a cop in the background, how about surveillance cameras, must they be turned off for fear of videotaping cops ... et cetera.

I think the interpretation used by the judge, is really really reaching for a way to limit photography in public. I think this is a real trampling of our 1st Amendment rights.

So if I start taking pictures of cops, the minute one grabs me I'm protected by the First Amendment only if I spit on them and start screaming about the violence inherit in the system?

Well sure.. because that makes.. umm.. perfect sense.

I really dislike the argument "they should be focusing on more criminal activities". I see that argument all the time. Different police forces have different officers doing different jobs in different departments. One officer doing his job that might focus on a bylaw or something that is not a violent crime does not mean that other crimes aren't being focused on. It's an argument that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Not where I live, they mostly sit in their cruisers glued to their phones instead of policing. I know more populated areas have bigger departments and officers assigned to different tasks. But I just don't see the point in a cop giving someone a fine or worse, jailed for someone taking picture of them doing their duties in a public area. I agree though, I should have worded it different, my bad.

But I'm not worried about the future of photography just because of this story. I've been hearing a lot about photography being a crime and if this trend continues and people become even more afraid....who knows...

Not where I live, they mostly sit in their cruisers glued to their phones instead of policing. I know more populated areas have bigger departments and officers assigned to different tasks. But I just don't see the point in a cop giving someone a fine or worse, jailed for someone taking picture of them doing their duties in a public area. I agree though, I should have worded it different, my bad.

But I'm not worried about the future of photography just because of this story. I've been hearing a lot about photography being a crime and if this trend continues and people become even more afraid....who knows...

Interesting, I have not heard a lot about photography being a crime. I have heard about photographing certain things/activities being illegal but not photography itself being a crime.
I'm sorry you have issues with your police department, I don't have that issue here. Our officers work hard, are very engaged and have a large community presence.
And you do realize that the police have no choice but to enforce the law right? They are not responsible for creating the laws, but their job, by definition, is enforcing those laws.

Interesting, I have not heard a lot about photography being a crime. I have heard about photographing certain things/activities being illegal but not photography itself being a crime.
I'm sorry you have issues with your police department, I don't have that issue here. Our officers work hard, are very engaged and have a large community presence.
And you do realize that the police have no choice but to enforce the law right? They are not responsible for creating the laws, but their job, by definition, is enforcing those laws.

Yes, cops are suppose to enforce the law, but they also can make an informative decision too. I've done stupid stuff in school in which was an arrestable offense, but did I get arrested? Nope. The police officer didn't think it was necessary.

So you'd be okay going to jail for photographing a cop say during an event? Not me, I'd fight it. But if the police officer came over and said he doesn't want his picture being taken and asks me to delete it..okay no problem. Do you think I'd should be jailed?

Yes, cops are suppose to enforce the law, but they also can make an informative decision too. I've done stupid stuff in school in which was an arrestable offense, but did I get arrested? Nope. The police officer didn't think it was necessary.

So you'd be okay going to jail for photographing a cop say during an event? Not me, I'd fight it. But if the police officer came over and said he doesn't want his picture being taken and asks me to delete it..okay no problem. Do you think I'd should be jailed?

Well yes, I think you should be jailed. But that's a separate issue.. lol

Like you if an officer, or anyone really expresses a desire to me that they don't wish to be photographed I delete it. It's common courtesy really.

Most reactions

Back