Feedback on my photography please?

Most here wont click to external.

Pick some photos that tie together in sets that you would like comments on post threads for those. If you are after c&c don't go for more than 2-3 at a time and number each of them for easy reference.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have face book so can't see them

I dunno...they seemed a lot like photos other young women shoot of themselves and post on Facebook.

I looked and didn't see any photos of people. (???)

Most here wont click to external.

Pick some photos that tie together in sets that you would like comments on post threads for those. If you are after c&c don't go for more than 2-3 at a time and number each of them for easy reference.

Welcome to the forum.

^^ This, please.

You really do need to just post a few here; most folks aren't going to take the time to go to an external link and evaluate photos--YOU need to take the time to post them here if you want feedback.

That said, I was bored; sitting around waiting for two people I have to get photos of to show up. So, I looked--I only looked at the landscape and oceans photos.

First: If you are not trying to be a professional and are just taking pictures for the fun of it, then it's really about what YOU like. There is clearly a "style" you are targeting, and it's not a style I'm a big fan of, so some of what I say may be a bit biased.

On the plus side, you have some good ideas and you certainly seem to have a great area for photography.
The ocean photos just made me seasick. All those tilted horizons just dashed me to and fro on the waves. ;)
On the landscape photos, there were a lot of white balance issues and exposure issues. Some of that may be intentional, but it's not something I find appealing, personally.

There is also a lot of noise in some of the photos; again, I assume that's intentional. I realize that's a trend today, to make photos look more like a "retro" photo. Being an old fogey, I already TOOK all those retro, grainy, over- or underexposed photos, and my aim is to never produce those results again. :lol:

The best advice I can really give you is these two things:
1. Post some photos here for C&C and then really LISTEN to those who respond, whether you agree with them or not, and no matter how ascerbic they are in their comments. Many of them KNOW whereof they speak--just TRY what they suggest and see what happens!
2. Keep shooting, reading about shooting, and then shooting some more!

thanks all! and sorry, i'm new to this type of site, one with forums and such. so hard to navigate.

I looked at your FB page and browsed your photos. You have some nice images. But, how do I share with others on this forum which photos I most like? Perhaps it would be easier to post, here, a half-dozen of your favourites numbered 1 to 6, and invite feedback.

I see some pretty strong compositions. You've got a firm grasp of formal composition, whether by instinct of training I don't know. There's lots of nice eye leading going on, good strong visual centers, which is nice, and good use of negative space here and there. You're photographs are rarely too cluttered, usually has a nice set of textures in them. You really like trees, don't you?

Two problems I see, in general, are a lack of emotional weight and instagram! I don't respond emotionally to your photographs, they're just pretty pictures (which may be all you care about, not everyone wants to make political statements or whatever with their work), and if you're not using instagram they sure LOOK like instagram images.

The trouble with instagram and similar is that the photographs get overprocessed, the processing and digital effects get in the way of the image. I, at least, tend to see the digital effects laid over the image, and have to struggle a little to mentally remove them and get past them to the thing I actually want to see. Good processing, in my opinion, enhances and improves the underlying image without itself being visible. Of course, in the brave new world where most photos ARE run through instagram, it's possible that everyone except me sees right past the effects, in the same way I see right past the black-and-white of a b&w photograph.

So, these quibbles could well be chalked up to Just Me.

Also pick the right forum, this section is PEOPLE photography. Go to the main forum link above and scroll through the selections to find the one most appropriate to your subject. :) Good luck!

Most reactions

Back