Feedback please. First use of off camera flash.

JLMILLS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_3612.jpg

Specifically, this is my first ever photo with off camera flash. This is my first ever portrait. This is my first ever self-portrait. I am asking for feedback on lighting specifically. I don't know much about posing, composition for portraiture my shirt is wrinkled, etc. etc. How is my lighting? thats what I want to know. How's exposure? I had to measure the distance, set the MF, set 10sec timer, run to the mark, strike a pose, and recheck and repeat. this is one of six shots. I actually got it all right after one adjustment...well i mean "right" if those that know more than me agree its right. I think the lighting is good but what do i know. I have two speedlites with umbrellas. Otherwise, the room is dark. One is facing me at the 2 oclock position. one is behind me at the 7 oclock position.

Of course I welcome all kinds of feedback but I just want to admit, upfront, that I dont know much about portraits. I shoot natural/low light landscapes. Rarely people. well if family counts.

why is the color i see in the post different from what I have on my computer...but if you click the photo, it opens a separate window with the coloring i expected?

$IMG_3612-2.jpg
Yes I'm a TPF noob. I am uploading a b&w so you wont focus on the color of the first one, just the lighting.

It still looks completely different than in LR or during preview. I give up. Thanks. I'll check back later for feedback. This is so much darker on my face than in LR. Oh well. I'm sure its operator error.

Your a handsome bloke... would have like your eyes to be better lit.. it looks ok... but not a life altering shot

Really nice start.

Color is off because your color profile is ProPhoto, you need to convert to sRGB which is what non color managed applications - and most web browsers- expect.
Short is bright and pulls the eye, highlight on your temples a little hot, IMO.

And a bit more space on the top

But generally terrific.

$IMG_3612lllll.jpg

Your lens has some heavy CA and it is leading to softening of your photos. I like the stoic look, suits you well. Could have gone for a little more head room and a little more room for your left arm. Unto the lighting:

To be honest, I have no lighting equipment of my own and have no practice, so what I'm saying now is to be taken as just someone who has seen plenty of portraits and tutorials. I would say that the light you have on the right part of your face could be a tad brighter (closer or just more power, which would have lit your eyes better at the same time) and the light to your left could do with a little dimming.

Saying that, this is still better than anything I have pulled off yet. Good job and I hope to see more from you.

Most reactions

Back