Feedback Requested for Penny's Portraits

Yep...and toss in a "wow, you're a natural at this" from time to time to loosen them up. The way to get them to be very tight and self conscious is to say "relax more" lol

Yep...and toss in a "wow, you're a natural at this" from time to time to loosen them up. The way to get them to be very tight and self conscious is to say "relax more" lol
Yep, compliments and humour. Above all, you have to appear relaxed... even if you're not.

I photographed this beautiful little girl a few weeks ago. She does a lot of modeling, including some for the local photography school students. Her mom was thrilled with my work (which means a lot, given her experience with photographers), but I want the critiques of the pros.
1. I'm not a pro.

2. Of course the mother will like them, but she is not an art critic, and the subject is her own daughter.

3. My critique:
#1; Odd setting, odd pose, odd frame.
#2; Frame is way too tight.
#3; If you're selling the clothing, then make sure the clothing is arranged correctly. There is an issue with her skirt that should have been fixed before the shot. (note: The models cannot see their backside without a multiple-pane full-length mirror, so you will have to call attention to it. If you are an adult male, you never touch a female model's clothing, hair, or skin without obtaining permission, and in the case of a child, you never touch her anyway. I presume her mother was present, so ask mom to fix her dress. Oh, and don't crop her legs either, especially since you're selling the clothing.
#4; Better pose, but you've cropped her legs again. Need the whole outfit to be in the frame.
#5; Frame is still too tight, especially for selling clothing. You've cropped right into the cape, and the dress is not even included.

Note: My comments about the clothing is because this is the style you have chosen to create. You are selling clothing. If your intent was to showcase the model, then you would have made completely different choices.

How can you give all those directions and still capture genuine expressions?
Are you photographing the model, or the outfits? Make up your mind. Models don't need genuine expressions to sell clothing. Look at some of the runway models; you will see no expression whatsoever. (Or perhaps boredom.)

How can you give all those directions and still capture genuine expressions?
Are you photographing the model, or the outfits? Make up your mind. Models don't need genuine expressions to sell clothing. Look at some of the runway models; you will see no expression whatsoever. (Or perhaps boredom.)
My intent was never to photograph clothing. Please explain how I made you feel that way.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

My intent was never to photograph clothing. Please explain how I made you feel that way.
The style of your photography is that of highlighting the clothing, and not the model.

As I wrote in post #19: "If your intent was to showcase the model, then you would have made completely different choices."

The style of your photography is that of highlighting the clothing, and not the model.

As I wrote in post #19: "If your intent was to showcase the model, then you would have made completely different choices."
Yeah, I got that. You haven't told me how my style does that. As an amateur, your comment is just criticism, nor helpful in any way, unless you can offer me suggestions on how to showcase the model instead.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I got that. You haven't told me how my style does that. As an amateur, your comment is just criticism, nor helpful in any way, unless you can offer me suggestions on how to showcase the model instead.
You can learn a lot by observing how other photographers handle the topic. Some professionals earn their living photographing the clothing. Other professionals earn their living by photographing people. Study good photography and you will see both styles, and then you can mimic whichever one you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back