Feeding Odessa Lake

andycurtis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
feeding-odessa-lake.jpg

Just joined the forum, so I figure it's my obligation to post a photo.

I would really appreciate feedback on this image. All critiques and comments are welcomed!

This was taken during the summer in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Directly behind me was Odessa Lake, a beautiful spot high in the Rockies.

To my eye it's an awesome shot! I love everything about it especially the motion! :cheers:

Composition and colors are very pleasing. I find that the perspective at which the shot was taken is not very obvious...that holds my attention and makes for an interesting photo.

Well Done.

Love your composition here; it's such a pretty scene. :) I don't care for the oversaturation of colors, though. It makes the boulder look almost metallic, and your lovely lush ferns are bordering on fluorescent. The unnatural intensity of color is at odds with the natural beauty of the scene, if that makes sense. This is just my personal preference, but I'd like to see your original image. :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Here's the original terri:

feeding-original.jpg

I'm afaid it's quite saturated as well. I used Velvia 50 for this shot, so the colors are really saturated. I somewhat agree with you on the above being too saturated... I guess I liked the yellow sticking out on the rocks.

Wow! I've used that exact film and never got such intense colors....that film can do amazing things, can't it? :D As for the yellow, it still shows up plainly. It looks great against the gray rock.

You got an excellent result, be proud of this shot and how you made that Velvia perform. :wink: Good work!! Thanks for posting this.

Interesting picuture...by the way...do you know, why this lake is called Odessa? 'cause Odessa is a town in Ukraine...

thanks terri, I like Velvia 50, my only complaint is the slow speed, as I rarely lug the tripod along (this was only a 2 night backpacking trip, so it wasn't too much weight). Velvia 100, is a great film, even if the reds aren't as good as 50.

elrick: No idea why it's named that. I'll post a picture of the lake later, however.

thanks terri, I like Velvia 50, my only complaint is the slow speed, as I rarely lug the tripod along (this was only a 2 night backpacking trip, so it wasn't too much weight). Velvia 100, is a great film, even if the reds aren't as good as 50.

I totally agree. I have to force myself to carry the tripod while hiking, even while knowing I'll get better results. :wink: I shoot mostly 100 speed but always have 50 on hand. Fuji slide film is a fave of mine: both the Velvia and Provia, with Kodak Ektachrome VS a close second. :D

the colors are amazingly vibrant. I must agree with Big Mike about the composition. This holds my attention for quite some time. The only thing that I find a little irritating is all the purple, even the water has a strong purple cast to it.

I must agree with an earlier comment that this picture competes itself against the natural beauty.

It feels a little too blue to me...but other than that, I love the shot! great composition, and use of motion....Love it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back