Feeling a little limited.

Knotty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! Im Knotty, budding amateur photographer:) Im here looking for some help/feedback on my search for a 2nd lens. Right now on my Rebel T2i I just have the kit lens(18-55mm IS) on there. Now I search for a decent zoom in the area of $1000 CAD. There is one condition though, the lens has to be on Future Shop - Future Shop (I work there so I get a sweet discount!).

Ok well I guess I should talk about my"style" or ummm, what ever you call the stuff you like to shoot"P!

Currently I take a lot of landscape, architecture, and what I would call urban/street photos. I would like to expand into taking some more wildlife and maybe portraits. Oh and I like to travel, a lot, and most of my picks are taken on those travels so I have to keep that in mind for the size/weight of the lens. I will also be buying a WA lens in May, but that's getting ahead of myself.

So I have a "rough" list of 3 lenses that Im looking at now...
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens Review

If you have any other suggestions for me please leave a comment or email, thanks:)

I would definitely go with a 70-200/4 if you're looking at that range. the IS is up to you whether or not you'll be shooting on a tripod the majority of the time or handheld. If you're shooting handheld then it wouldn't hurt. personally when i have the cash for that lens i'll be going for the IS because if i'm already spending that much I'd like some image stabilization @200mm.

You don't really want a variable aperture and you can look into that as you research the lenses.

I would definitely go with a 70-200/4 if you're looking at that range. the IS is up to you whether or not you'll be shooting on a tripod the majority of the time or handheld. If you're shooting handheld then it wouldn't hurt. personally when i have the cash for that lens i'll be going for the IS because if i'm already spending that much I'd like some image stabilization @200mm.

You don't really want a variable aperture and you can look into that as you research the lenses.

I agree with what this guys said. Get the 70-200mm F/4L (IS or not if up to you). It is excellent bang for the buck.

Personally I am getting the 70-200mm F/2.8L USM (without IS) because I plan on using it for outdoors for sports, and want faster shutter speeds and don't really plan on using IS. Its a little more than the F/4 IS by $100 USD or so.

70-200/4 but wait for a few hundred you can get IS! but wait, for a few hundred more, you can get the f/2.8! that's got an IS version too.. yup, just a few hundred more! :p

slippery slope!!

yeah, i'll be going for the 70-200/2.8L IS mkII or bust!

70-200/4 but wait for a few hundred you can get IS! but wait, for a few hundred more, you can get the f/2.8! that's got an IS version too.. yup, just a few hundred more! :p

slippery slope!!

yeah, i'll be going for the 70-200/2.8L IS mkII or bust!

I only mentioned the 2.8L non-IS because he linked the F/4 IS, only $90 USD difference.

A slippery slope indeed:) The only draw back with the 2.8L is that I can't get it at future shop and I would have to pay full price. I priced the 2.8L at $2200 CAD, just a little out of my price range:p

A slippery slope indeed:) The only draw back with the 2.8L is that I can't get it at future shop and I would have to pay full price. I priced the 2.8L at $2200 CAD, just a little out of my price range:p

Hmm, your website shows the "Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM Standard Lens" but the picture they show is the IS version.

The 70-200 F4 IS is wicked sharp as well as being sealed (the other two you list are not) and light enough to carry around all day.

I prefer 2.8 over 4 is because I want faster shutter speeds for sports. I'm not really concerned with low shutter speed hand holding IS function. It's preference and whatever you need.

Currently I take a lot of landscape, architecture, and what I would call urban/street photos. I would like to expand into taking some more wildlife and maybe portraits.

I would say based on your comments here, that you should be looking at a different lens entirely. For landscape/achitecture, it seems you would probably be well suited for a wide angle lens like a 10-20, 12-24 or something like that maybe.

For the portrait and urban/street, I would consider a normal (50mm) to short telephoto (up to 85mm).

Most reactions

Back