Feeling a little self conscious

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I want to take my camera everywhere, but for some reason I feel self conscious! I feel like people are watching wondering what I'm up to when I take photos of random stuff.

I'm sure this has cropped up loads, but I cant find anything in the search.

Especially when I have a tripod or am spending time getting the right shot.

Do any of you feel self conscious? Do you ignore it or do you have ways of dealing with it?

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome :)

Cheers,
Steve.

Imagine them naked.

Shake hands on this Steve!
Unless I work for someone and can therefore say "Mr XY has asked me to be here and take photos", I certainly feel VERY self-conscious when I am among people! Yes. Very. So I tend to only bring out my camera in nature, and when I am ALL ALONE.
Only in NYC or in Berlin or London, i.e. in places where I could be SURE no one would know me at all, did I feel "safe". Isn't that funny?

Yea, I know that feeling....

When I shoot cityscapes, people start to look and stare... At first it bothered me, but now I know that it happens and move on.

The first time I was shooting architecture, some old guy came up to me and asked. "What are you up to, are you press or something?" (Or something of that nature.) I replied that I'm an amataur photographer, and that I liked the way the light played on the surfaces of the fasade of the building. The man just replied something like "O.K. then..." and walked of. His curiosity was satisifed, and he could go about his busines.

I think that most people who starts looking at you as if you are crazy or something, usually are just curious about you. It's not the most common place thing in a city, to see a man with a camera and tripod. But don't worry about it, people will get used to it.

I hope this helped in some way...

Best of luck. =)

I guess a lot of it depends on what kind of stuff you shoot.

It is extemely rare whenever I have a need to use a tripod.

But I hear where you are coming from. I take my camera everywhere with me and I have been doing this for many years. But I too, was a little self-conscious about it in the beginning. People do tend to stare at you a bit and sometimes strangers will walk up and ask you about your camera- mostly from just being curious or they may be photographers themselves.

The only way to ever get yourself comfortable in carrying around a camera all the time is to simply just start doing it. After a while, it will start to feel normal- trust me.

I know we have some large format shooters on this forum. Maybe they can chime in. I shot an 8x10 field camera for a number of years- that will make a person learn how to get over being self-conscious right quick.:wink:

I am OK around strangers as I really couldn't give a monkeys what they think of me but whenever I get my camera out around people I know I feel very self conscious and even a little embarressed. I don't know why it is, perhaps it's cause I'm under a bit more pressure cause I know they will be wanting to see the photos..

happens all the time. also, one time I had to film a scene downtown for my school assignment, i was standing on top of an some raised column, the whole crowd just stared. just ignore it, if someone asks, reply to them. what are they gonna do to you?

whenever I get my camera out around people I know I feel very self conscious and even a little embarressed. I don't know why it is, perhaps it's cause I'm under a bit more pressure cause I know they will be wanting to see the photos..

Yes, I'm totally with you on that!

Well, after starting this thread, I had a nose on our works "Sports & Social" board to see if there were any photographic clubs, there wasnt so the person who runs it asked me to start one! So an email went out to everyone in the entire UK who a part of the company I work for! I've had no jokes or smart arse comments which I was expecting from a number of jokers! But 7 people have come forward and said Yes :D

I feel better already :)

Oh, I definitely know what you mean...
I was walking down my street with my XT and my 70-200 4.0L, and I felt so awkward you don't even know.
There were several people out, and everyone obviously looked at me...but it wasn't THAT bad.
My neighbour was like "Wow, nice camera"...but other than that it was ok.

I do feel weird though if I'm in public...and I don't feel comfortable taking pictures of people I don't know...I always feel as if they'd ask me not to...

You could always tell them that you are with a investment company that's looking to purchase in the area but are not at liberty to say which. ;)

Then they'll have more to worry about than you.:lmao:

I went to LA a few months ago for business. Sunset strip is just
RIPE with cool things to shoot. I stopped in for dinner at a local
restaurant. I got all kinds of looks and whispers. Finally the
waiter came over and asked me if I was papparazzi. Heh. I
only had my little 50mm on the camera too!!

Yea, I know that feeling....

When I shoot cityscapes, people start to look and stare... At first it bothered me, but now I know that it happens and move on.

The first time I was shooting architecture, some old guy came up to me and asked. "What are you up to, are you press or something?" (Or something of that nature.) I replied that I'm an amataur photographer, and that I liked the way the light played on the surfaces of the fasade of the building. The man just replied something like "O.K. then..." and walked of. His curiosity was satisifed, and he could go about his busines.

I think that most people who starts looking at you as if you are crazy or something, usually are just curious about you. It's not the most common place thing in a city, to see a man with a camera and tripod. But don't worry about it, people will get used to it.

I hope this helped in some way...

Best of luck. =)

Haha same this happened to me when I was taking a night exposure of a community center. An older gentleman was walking by with his wife and said "Who are you waiting for?" I replied "Just the building" and he continued on his way.

When I started going out with my camera I was really nervous, but after a while you get used to... at least I did.

Just have your camera with you all the time. Your friends and family will get used to it, and then strangers will bother you less.

I feel naked when I leave the house without a camera - the only question usually is "which camera, which lens?"

Just have your camera with you all the time. Your friends and family will get used to it, and then strangers will bother you less.

I feel naked when I leave the house without a camera - the only question usually is "which camera, which lens?"

Really? I am surprised that the question isn't just which lens to put on the M8?

I keep a belt pack with an extra lens and a flash w/extra batteries and memory and business cards. That and the camera are my constant companions. Whenever anyone asks me about the camera I hand them a card and a 30 second intro. Not only do I not get hassled (it's amazing how fast someone starts back peddling when they suddenly find themselves presented with an opportunity to spend lots of money. The more annoying they are the more money it takes. ;))((of course if they aren't annoying they get the usual rates)) I'm a walking billboard. A walking billboard out having a great time! :)

Most reactions

Back