Feeling completely defeated!

KmH- see THAT makes my head hurts. Yes, it's simple math, but seeing ALL those numbers together at once just makes the room spin.
That is a common/fashionable response.
The math involved in running a successful business is even more complex.
Now from the business side of it.. when I eventually start charging people for my work, I was planning on selling them the digital files..I suppose I can only sell them 4x6 images then and they have to figure it out if they want any enlargements? This is what a bunch of people have recommended I do but maybe that's not such a great idea?
Here you are, a photographer, having problems with basic print making concepts. How do you think your average customer is going to handle it? Like a 4x6 (3:2 aspect ratio) image on a CD they try to get printed at Wally World as an 8x10 (5:4 aspect ratio) or a 5x7 (7:5 aspect ratio) print. Parts of the original photo will get cut off in the process. I can guarantee you, they will blame the problem on you, not the print lab.

None of this aspect ratio, stuff came about as a result of digital either. 35 mm film is a 3:2 aspect ratio so those shots have also aways needed to be cropped to accomodate different aspect ratio prints.

Super Simple- I tired that..I'm getting unflattering stretching doing it that way.

Slick Salmon- Makes me feel a bit better..lol thanks..I won't be teaching classes anytime soon.

KmH- see THAT makes my head hurts. Yes, it's simple math, but seeing ALL those numbers together at once just makes the room spin. I think I will figure it out eventually..

Now from the business side of it.. when I eventually start charging people for my work, I was planning on selling them the digital files..I suppose I can only sell them 4x6 images then and they have to figure it out if they want any enlargements? This is what a bunch of people have recommended I do but maybe that's not such a great idea?

Maybe I'm not doing what you're saying.
I am using photoshop. I opened a new file, set the dimensions and placed my image then adjusted the size to fit into that dimension.

KmH- see THAT makes my head hurts. Yes, it's simple math, but seeing ALL those numbers together at once just makes the room spin.
That is a common/fashionable response.
The math involved in running a successful business is even more complex.
Here you are, a photographer, having problems with basic print making concepts. How do you think your average customer is going to handle it? Like a 4x6 (3:2 aspect ratio) image on a CD they try to get printed at Wally World as an 8x10 (5:4 aspect ratio) or a 5x7 (7:5 aspect ratio) print. Parts of the original photo will get cut off in the process. I can guarantee you, they will blame the problem on you, not the print lab.

None of this aspect ratio, stuff came about as a result of digital either. 35 mm film is a 3:2 aspect ratio so those shots have also aways needed to be cropped to accomodate different aspect ratio prints.

Exactly what I was thinking. I know I have to re-think a few things.

Super Simple- I tired that..I'm getting unflattering stretching doing it that way.

Maybe I'm not doing what you're saying.
I am using photoshop. I opened a new file, set the dimensions and placed my image then adjusted the size to fit into that dimension.

Ah... Don't adjust the size. Adjust the POSITION. If you need, then adjust the size (scale) and use SHIFT to make sure that you maintain the aspect ratio. Rinse. Repeat until happy.

Ok. Here is the original image and the original cropped image now cropped to a 4x6. I cropped the original really wide and short, oblivious to printing at that point. I come to realize I cannot print that at a 4x6 and maintain the whole image..
I had to take out her little toes and bum. I don't think it looks THAT bad, but I would have preferred to keep the toes and bum in there.
I've figured out how to set the image sizes for various sizes of prints. Thanks to everyone. I'm still stumped how to salvage the ones I've butchered though without stretching it (tried your method super simple, still need to resize a bit. I think I'm missing something) I think I will just re-do those ones.

Original Cropped image
Elizabeth7Web.jpg

4x6 cropped image
Elizabeth4Web.jpg

What version and release level of Photoshop are you using? Like Elements 8, Elements 9, CS3, CS5?

Most reactions

Back