Feeling overwhelmed when editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In my personal opinion, getting it right in camera is something I don't really care about."

"Lately I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed when it comes to photo editing. Sometimes I almost dread having to do it after a photoshoot."
The topic you don't want to discuss is ironically the answer to your problem. Shoot to not have to edit. Sorry I know you said you don't want to discuss it, but this is such a major contradiction and ignorant cop-out that I could not ignore it. Please don't mistake my honesty for meanness.

You already said you focus on lighting and composition; that's good. Getting the lighting right means you avoid a lot of retouching, and can potentially avoid it altogether. Part of composition is grooming the photo set to make sure everything is in place and nothing exists in the frame that would have to be edited out later, eliminating another aspect of photo editing. If you set your white balance correctly, often times you wont even have to do color editing either. I have mine set to "Shade" 100% of the time, and rarely have to do any color adjustments.

I understand that you don't want to discuss getting it right in camera, but in this case that's your exact problem and exactly what you need to be doing especially if photo editing is becoming an overwhelming task.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for tips and suggestions.

But I'm just going to continue to do what I feel is best. I like to edit photos and add my personal touch to them. That's just how I do things. We all do things differently and I believe there is no correct way when it comes to creating art.

My issue is over thinking and that's something I do a lot. In this case, I just simply put way too much thought into something so simple and subjective.

Lately I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed when it comes to photo editing. Sometimes I almost dread having to do it after a photoshoot.

After spending hours of processing images and staring at the computer monitor, I swear your eyes start playing tricks on you. Drives me nuts!

I love taking photos into LR and making them come alive and playing around with the sliders but when you gotta do it to 400+ shots...it's not that fun anymore. Especially when you get stuck on one photo where you have no idea which way you wanna take it.

What are some tips and tricks that you have learned that have made your post-processing life more enjoyable?
Getting them right in camera

Yeah but I don't care for SOOC photos. I like making my stuff unique.
Try to do it in camera. It can be done.
Completely agreed. My signature look is due to lighting and vision, definitely not in the editing, which I try to keep very minimal. If a photographer doesn't care for their images SOOC, that means they need to work on their photo making skills, not editing.

I despise editing.
I'm right there with you. I can't stand it, so I always think of ways I can avoid doing so during the actual photographic process. It's still "editing", it's just done before the photo is taken instead of after. I even see lighting in itself as a retouching tool.

Exactly. It's not easy but the effort of in camera photography is way more interesting and gratifying than trying to figure out software. Film has taught me this, hence the reason I bought the Fujifilm, it works like my film cameras.

screen_shot_2017_10_26_at_7_24_55_pm_by_danostergren-dbrtxki.png

Ok @nerwin, what part about light being a retouching tool or "editing" still being a process that takes place before the photo is taken do you disagree with?

If this discussion turns into a debate between editing and getting it right in camera, I'll have it closed.
I don't understand what your issue is, asking a question but threatening to have your topic removed if you don't like someone's answer. If you don't like mine or someone else's opinions, you might as well block us so you don't have to see them, because I wont stop saying what I think just because someone doesn't want to hear it. That's pure ignorance.

I wasn't around when this situation occurred and will leave the moderator who was dealing with this to reply if they so choose with regard to the lock.

However I want to remind users that:
1) Even if you don't agree/like an answer to your question we expect users to remain polite toward each other at all times. You don't have to agree, but you do have to remain respectful.

2) Users do not have the "right/power" to "demand" their threads to be closed. We have never practised that form of moderation and do not intend to. We lock threads typically based upon continued hostile/argumentative behaviour by users where its clear that the thread is not going to go back on the rails or where there's already a fight happening and the thread is just a continuation of egos bashing against each other.

There are rare occasions where a request to lock will be performed; but its on a case by case basis and not something we typically do outside of unique situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back