Feeling rather fly with my Canon G9.

FlightThePower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and have just gotten a second-hand G9 as a gift. I have no user manual or anything of the like.

I have no photography background whatsoever, but I've always been quite interested in photography. I'm going to be applying for Graphic Design for school in a couple months, and I'll need a camera... but I have one now!

So, I have a lot of leisure time until I start school. I also have a couple of questions about how to use my camera. Maybe someone here also has a Canon Powershot G9?

Here I go;

1.) I see a lot of pictures around where people wave lights or stuff around and it makes a streak in the picture. They're able to write words out and stuff. I don't really know how to explain this, but is it possible to do with my camera? If so, how?

2.) How can I get really good shots at night? Ones that aren't too noisy and stuff?

3.) How can I set up the camera so that the minute I press the button to take the picture, it's taken right away, without any delay?

I know, I know. I'm a total noob. Please help me out :D.

Welcome to the wonderful, often confusing, world of photography!

Before you ask another question, read these incredibly helpful guides, in the order listed:

Exposure Lessons, in order Stop Shooting Auto!
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Amateur Snapper
Index of Entries Stop Shooting Auto!

To answer the questions already asked:

1: To do this a long shutter speed is utilized. It's essentially the same thing as a blurry subject, except the moving light is very bright.
2: Read the above links to learn about exposure. ISO is the main culprit in noise. The lower the ISO the lower the noise.
3: Every camera takes a little while to focus. Hold the shutter release halfway down to focus, all the way to release the shutter.

Last edited:
You can get your manual as a PDF online.

Have fun!

That basically answered all of my questions. Thanks a lot! I can't wait to get to posting.

looking forward to seeing some pics? What are you taking pics of? What are you interested in?

It looks like your camera supports up to 15 second exposures. That's plenty long to do light painting. Just need a dark room (or night) and a flashlight. Set it to a several second exposure and move the light around.

It also looks like there's a firmware hack you can do to get more functionality out of the camera. Here's a link to a flickr discussion on your camera: Flickr: Discussing Long exposure? in Canon PowerShot G9

The Firmware hack is awesome! I used it on a Powershot. It will allow time lapse, and longer exposures and get this, a functioning battery meter!

Jeatley said:
looking forward to seeing some pics? What are you taking pics of? What are you interested in?

Well, I really like photos of real life. Not-ready-for-the-photo kinda pictures. Seeing through the eyes of people, whether it be the good, the bad, or the ugly.

To be honest, I really hate planned photo shoots and stuff. I like to see what you live your life doing!

And thanks to everyone for the help! What is this firmware hack you speak of, Sir?

did anyone realize hes making a pun on the song Fly like a G6

And it's got a hotshoe!!! You can show those damned DSLR photographers who's boss and do some amazing working that that "pathetic" P&S of yours. :D

Hahaha the song was on TV when I was making the thread, I was hoping someone would pick up on it...

Most reactions

Back