The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Laos has many rivers, few roads, fewer airports and no trains so much travel is spent on these terrible roads. Buses are all brought in used from Korea or Japan and were old before they got to Laos. Every long distance bus carries a mechanic and I was never on a bus trip when it didn't break down at least once.

It seems there is no phrase in Lao that means ' this bus is full' subsequently every bus is jammed with people, people sit in the aisles on small plastic chairs and even on the steps to the door. Two or three hours in a bus erases all barriers of culture and language and you get friendly with the people who are pressed up against you.

If you'd like to read a blog post on travel in Laos, go to Adventures on the Road in Northern Laos.

This man was in the seat ahead of me and was intrigued by my camera gear and let me take his picture.

p142116981-5.jpg

Cool, You gotta love traveling abroad. there's some great people out there.

This is a typical long-distance bus - 8 or 10 hour rides, with stops every couple of hours for comfort and food. are commonplace. All luggage goes on top, except that which goes in your lap. It is nicer on the outside than inside. The Lao as a group are fastidiously clean, this is a pleasure in a crowded bus.

p507052166-3.jpg

This is a typical bus station. When you arrive on the last bus, the driver gets up top to throw stuff down, when he's done, the lights go out.

p65939106-3.jpg

Luckily, the agent inside often speaks a bit of tourist English because the Lao script is indecipherable to Westerners or at least me.

p477188140-3.jpg

In India and Nepal I learned a bus isn't full until there isn't any room left on the roof. And no, I never saw anyone turned away either!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back