Feminine vs. Masculine

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spawned by Pixel's thread.

Do men and women pick and see subjects differently?

Can you tell gender from a photo?

Depends on what you mean, and context, I think.

Can you guess M/F and achieve an accuracy that is better than 50%? Yes. You can almost certainly do that by guessing Male every time. Look at the EXIF and correlate equipment with gender in a large sample, and you can probably do quite well indeed, for instance.

Analysis of subjects specifically, and pictures in general, in a large population like flickr might produce results "better than random" or "better than just guess Male every time" by some statistical margin, maybe. There are probably color preferences that fall loosely along gender lines within a given society, for another example.

Refine the domain to "published pictures" and much probably goes away, mainly because you're bringing multiple people in the pipeline, and gender differences -- which are likely to be subtle to start with -- are going to get averaged away.

This is a question that's going to have quite different answers based on precisely how you formulate it.

Funny, I had the same thought as I was thinking around the other thread, I think in general it would be difficult to make a call on a single image but perhaps a body of work would tend to indicate a gender?

Absolutely,99% of the time. If I understand your question...such as Boudoir...ever see a woman's boudoir image as compared to a male photographer's?

Depends on what you mean, and context, I think.

Can you guess M/F and achieve an accuracy that is better than 50%? Yes. You can almost certainly do that by guessing Male every time. Look at the EXIF and correlate equipment with gender in a large sample, and you can probably do quite well indeed, for instance.

Analysis of subjects specifically, and pictures in general, in a large population like flickr might produce results "better than random" or "better than just guess Male every time" by some statistical margin, maybe. There are probably color preferences that fall loosely along gender lines within a given society, for another example.

Refine the domain to "published pictures" and much probably goes away, mainly because you're bringing multiple people in the pipeline, and gender differences -- which are likely to be subtle to start with -- are going to get averaged away.

This is a question that's going to have quite different answers based on precisely how you formulate it.

You articulated My thoughts much better than I did. I agree with the Flickr angle and that was the crux of my idea.

I guess the question should be are different genders predisposed to a particular subject or style?

Absolutely,99% of the time. If I understand your question...such as Boudoir...ever see a woman's boudoir image as compared to a male photographer's?

Womans shot: no nipples showing Mans shot: both nipples showing :D

On internet photo forums, there's ALWAYS that segment of the bird-photographing population that seem to delight in photographing the various sub-species of tits;
blue tits, great tits, marsh tits, willow tits, you name it, these guys all love their posts of tits...

Tit (bird) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On internet photo forums, there's ALWAYS that segment of the bird-photographing population that seem to delight in photographing the various sub-species of tits;
blue tits, great tits, marsh tits, willow tits, you name it, these guys all love their posts of tits...

Tit (bird) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are some awesome tits! Thanks Derrel.

This has almost an exact equivalence in the terms 'sensitivity' and 'specificity' as used in testing for disease in health care.

Here is a quick read -Sensitivity and Specificity

The real question is what is the predictive ability in evaluating photographs for gender of artist? (PV+= true positive/(true positive + false positive))

And that would be a really interesting test.

Don't know?

The ladies I talk with don't like my work that much unless it is flowers or sunsets.

This has almost an exact equivalence in the terms 'sensitivity' and 'specificity' as used in testing for disease in health care.

Here is a quick read -Sensitivity and Specificity

The real question is what is the predictive ability in evaluating photographs for gender of artist? (PV+= true positive/(true positive + false positive))

And that would be a really interesting test.

The selection of photos would play a huge part as Andrew mentioned. Facebook, Flickr and professional portfolios among others all would yield very different results.

Here's a very well-done,simple, engaging lesson in classical portraiture posing and lighting, which shows the difference between a masculine head tilt, and a feminine head tilt (and masculine pose and feminine pose).

This is from a guy who actually knows what he's talking about, which is something that is often not certain in photo instruction videos made by 'regular Joes' who slap them up on YouTube. This video was funded by Sekonic. Anyway...this page has a good video for a number of reasons. The video's a little over an hour in length. Here is the presenter's photographic CV http://frankdispensa.com/bio/bio.htm

Classical Posing and Portrait Lighting Photography Techniques ? PictureCorrect

Most reactions

Back