festival tips

MeleKalikimaka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
i remember reading a few threads here re concert shooters and would love some tips. I'm shooting a big festival in ireland in a few weeks (http://www.oxegen.ie/), well big for ireland. its for the promo company itself, so i'm thinking lighting and stage setup/crowd shots, dont know how to go about it,my set up is a d50 w/ 17-55 3.5/50mm 1.8/18-200vr(on loan),105 macro(on loan) and possibly a d200(if i really need it, really don't want to borrow that too tho, weather is bad and too much equipment isn't my cup of tea.

any tips ?

Take the 18-200 VR and the 50 mm F1.8 and leave the rest at home. The only reason to even use the 50 mm is the speed at night/low light under heavy clouds. None of the others will give you enough speed to justify taking them.

mike

P.S. As to the actual shooting, look at what has already been done and try to see how what you like was done.

Ahh, I see. Then I would get with the production Co. and find out what they are most proud of and what they are most worried about. Anyone can do 'happy puppy pictures' but photos with tension make the heart beat faster. You just need to know what makes your client 'tense' (in both a good and a bad way).

mike

Most of the referenced shots will require fast glass. Plan on giving the 50 a workout. Also plan to zoom with your feet a lot!

Is the festival in the day in open light? If not the 50mm and the 105mm are the only lenses that will get any use. You will need fast glass as mentioned above. If you are borrowing gear look at borrowing a range of fixed focal lenses. 50/105 coveres the band closeups. Consider going 35 or 28 as well for wide shots, or for shots of the crowd maybe a fisheye, although the crowd will nearly never be lit up enough for this in an indoor shoot. Mind you you could get creative. ISO1600 goes very well with black and white and high contrast to create a grungy oldskool atmospheric photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back