Few pics of the local narrow gauge railroad that runs though my grandfathers yard.

BadRotation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Most of these are horrible, since it is kinda hard to get a good photo with telephone poles and stuff getting in the way. Some good ones will follow as soon as I visit the park (a historic village from the 1800's, all the buildings are original and from the area, etc.) in a couple weeks.

Anyways, here are a few photos from today. They are greatly scaled down, since the full size photos off the camera are about 9MB each.

The guy that runs this railroad comes out on the weekends to volenteer on the standard gauge steam railroad that I work on. In fact, he is firing Pere Marquette #1225 (one of our 3 steam locomotives) this weekend on one of our overnight excursion runs to Caddilac, MI

Here are a couple from today, like I said, not the greatest shots.

huck1small4jd.jpg

huck2small5tu.jpg

huck3small1ea.jpg

huck4small2pi.jpg

huck5small4zc.jpg

huck6small2tl.jpg

huck7small9dd.jpg

huck8small1fi.jpg

huck9small8bo.jpg

huck10small1fz.jpg

peter/c said:
Can't see any poles or wires in the first couple of shots and they are certainly a credit to You .
Peter.

Yeah, the road is about 10 feet to the right of the locomotive, and the poles are between the tracks and the road. They are a real pain to work around. Luckily I found a good spot quick enough (though I was shooting into the sun on the first few)

Bada Gora said:
56k BEWARE!!!!! nice pics, were these digital?

Yep, shot with a 20d.

the first few were shot with a 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, since I didnt have time to change out lenses.

the last few (with it going around the sharp corner) were shot with the kit lens.

Great photos. Very well done. I really like the first few the best

very cool that the track runs through your grandpas yard; you had great vantage points! thanks for sharing!

is there anything neater than a steam locomotive going thru a back yard?? thats just pure americana....these are very good... your lucky to see this in person, and experience that thrill........

aprilraven said:
is there anything neater than a steam locomotive going thru a back yard?? thats just pure americana....these are very good... your lucky to see this in person, and experience that thrill........

Hehe. I work on a standard gauge steam railroad doing restoration work on the locomotives, so I am around this stuff every day :thumbup:

The one in the photo is narrow gauge, and is MUCH smaller than the stuff I work on.

crop out the top half of #6. it would look amazing without the telephone lines going over the train.

Nice, I really like the first few. Great subject.

Most reactions

Back