Few shots from school session today

Starskream666

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Three different angles/perspectives for you here. I think the 3rd is the best but share your opinions.

I hand out my street cred based on the number of protective measures taken ;)

Quick observations on framing:

1: Too much space behind person for my liking. I'd try cropping some off, and also taking some off the bottom to restore the dimensions.

2: Dude going out of the frame. Just feels wrong :)

3: I feel the guy's head it too close to the top of the frame. I like that you've included the rest of the people watching, but I wish you'd aimed a little higher when taking the shot :)

Some funky colours going on in all three - at least on my monitor :)

I think if you crop #1 to capture/isolate the rider you will have a good action shot. Can't say the same for the other two despite the effort. So work with #1 and I think you'll have a good starting point.

Nothing too exciting here, no interesting angles or different positions the shots were taken from. All kind of like you were standing on the sidewalk and pointed the camera. Find some interesting angles to shoot the tricks from, get close and low shooting up to give a sense of height and catching air.

Color balance seems to have a green tint of some kind to it?? Might just be the poor monitor here at work.

And I love someone who's always looking to get some street cred..... it provides job security for many of us in the emergency response business.

Shot 1... getting down on the grass next to the rail at the edge of the concrete would have given a nice perspective and a clean background pretty much isolating the rider on the whtie wall behind him.

Shot 3, again down low, this time at the bottom of the stairs right at the rail shooting up the rail at the rider..... now that would have been a nice shot.

Tiny subjects in large frame. Cropped, I think 3 would be a good photo.

Shot 1... getting down on the grass next to the rail at the edge of the concrete would have given a nice perspective and a clean background pretty much isolating the rider on the whtie wall behind him.

Shot 3, again down low, this time at the bottom of the stairs right at the rail shooting up the rail at the rider..... now that would have been a nice shot.

Sorry they weren't up to your expectations of interesting shots as I said they were just 'a few shots from school session' not a photoshoot ;)

I agree with shot 1 getting low on the grass.

Shot 3 however, I don't see why I would go to the ground and point up at him airing over the rail as I don't have a fish eye and you wouldn't see where he is going to land. In bmx/skate photography you are meant to show where they are coming from, the trick, and the landing. If you can show me a magazine shot of just someone in the air without the obstacle or landing in the shot then ill agree with you. x

...but share your opinions
Shooting up the rail to include the rail and the rider going over it, not just the rider in the air. Use the rails to lead the viewers eye to the trick. You don't need a fisheye (over used for BMX shooting to start with) or even extreme wide angle to accomplish that.

In bmx/skate photography you are meant to show where they are coming from, the trick, and the landing.

Not sure quite where you get that idea of having to show all three elements in the shots as a requirement to a good shot, I have only shot BMX racing, but I've spent a great deal of time looking at bmx bike shots and the majority of them only show the rider and the obstacle. Those that try to include all three use a wide angle lens up close so the rider does not get lost in all the scenery. I'm just saying look for interesting perspectives. Get creative, don't just follow what most consider the norm.

If you can show me a magazine shot of just someone in the air without the obstacle or landing in the shot then ill agree with you.
Can do.... here's a couple of magazine cover shots of a rider airing without the obstacle or landing visible ...
http://www.bonz-bros.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ClassicBMX-No5.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.fastlanebmxmag.com/images/magazine/issue_8/cover-480.jpg

Last edited:
Lol my friend that is a shot of a bmx racer and a shot from the 80s of a bmx racer. I took shots of bmx street riding doing tricks. I meant show me a magazine shot of the style of bmx I shot without showing those elements. If its from a reputable bmx mag... you won't. :) But start here if you like http://rideukbmx.mpora.com/photo-booth

man, i havent ridden in so long. going to have to dig the bike out this weekend i think.

Lol my friend that is a shot of a bmx racer and a shot from the 80s of a bmx racer. I took shots of bmx street riding doing tricks. I meant show me a magazine shot of the style of bmx I shot without showing those elements. If its from a reputable bmx mag... you won't. :) But start here if you like BMX Photos

I have to agree with Tony S's comments about comp and how to make the shot interesting. If we all shot identical to what we saw before it would be a pretty boring photographic world now wouldnt it.....

#1 perhaps a tighter vertical crop on him, so much wasted space.
#2 no edits can save it
#3 A tight crop on the rider would have helped. The other guys watching is kind of nice, but not enough to outweigh how much the rider gets lost in the back ground. A classic shot of him with that wild hair against the sky from down low could be interesting.

I hate to preach but wear helmets. I have had friends die on bikes, it becomes a lot less cool when you are at their funeral.

Most reactions

Back