Fight Club - Round 154: Results are in!

Divemaster said:
I'm completely confused... So, since I do not have 50 or more posts, I can't contribute my .02 to FC? Honestly, why would it matter...are we playing for prizes or money... or just bragging rights and the ability to gain insight on our photos? I spend a ton of time on this forum (granted, I found this forum in July), and contribute where I can, but I mostly lurk.

Whether you are a noob or a seasoned pro...if my picture(s) are liked/voted for whatever reason, I will always be flattered!

Just my (uncounted) .02...

Divemaster,

I did not make this rule and just found out about it on this round. I had voted while having less than 50 posts myself and apparently it was for naught. I mentioned your votes on a previous round because he counted them but now states that less than 50 posts (and having never played) means your votes will not be counted.

I did state that I thought it was an excellent rule but I was considering it from a wrong angle. Not from the noob view. I retract that statement. It is not a fair rule for TPF noobs, but the moderators can do as they wish, it is their group. I give more weight to votes from those to whom I have seen their work, but all are greatly appreciated.
Like I said before, the FC attracts noobs because it is an easy group to participate in.

The purpose of my post was to respond to what I felt was a thinly veiled accusation that I had solicited people to sign up just for votes. The comment of "a lot of people with very very few votes" in particular.

Chann - I was not accusing you of that, but that exact situation has happened to me in the past, so I just wanted to be 100% sure. On this very forum, there was a Photo Topic contest sponsored by Lensbaby, and my photo was the top pick until the final 2 days when a dozen of 1 post wonders skewed the results towards another competitor. Honestly, I really don't think you got a lot of people to sign up and vote for you. However, it is my responsibility to make sure this stays a fair contest, and I'd rather be on the safe side of that line.

Honestly, it has never been an official rule, but it has come up before, probably over a year or so ago. The reason I never made the rule official is simply because I have a lot to think about when turning over rounds, and only really notice bigger patterns. Whether that's a shift from one player getting a lot of votes towards another halfway through (a common thing, and it's always a cause for me to go back and look), or a disproportionate amount of new people voting. Maybe I shouldn't set the line at 50...10 should really be enough.

Long story short:
1. I don't think you cheated, and I apologize if you thought I was accusing you of that.
2. It's a long standing, but unofficial rule, simply because I don't always notice.

Again, sorry for any animosity created here, it certainly wasn't my intention, and I hope you'll keep playing :)

Perhaps instead of making it a "rule" you could make it a "guideline".

"Votes submitted by individuals with less than 50 posts in TPF and who have not submitted entries to the fight club are subject to being discounted at the sole discretion of the moderator(s)."

This way people are forewarned if you find you need to enforce these sanctions, but you're not committed to testing every week's contest against the criterion.

clarinetJWD said:
Again, sorry for any animosity created here, it certainly wasn't my intention, and I hope you'll keep playing :)

Of course. As I said previously, i appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

It is the most fun photo contest I have participated in.

I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Most reactions

Back