Fighter Pilot

Adour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ljandclare.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1/400 f6.3 ISO 200. Single Strobe fired from 80deg camera right, homemade snoot to control beamwidth, fast shutter to control ambient.

I was looking for a sort of meanacing look accentuating the equipment details.

C&C Welcome as always, hope you enjoy, LJ

598389507_jgmQf-L.jpg

I like it, but I think it's juat a little too dark.

I would like to, at least, see the entire helmet. (Even just a silhouette.)

Yes I know what you mean, I was having difficulty controlling spill, but in hindsight I probbly could have put the flash further away to increase the spill on the subject and managed the shooting position to control the light on the backdrop.

LJ

Maybe a small light behind him to light the edges of the helmet?

...Just so you can see the edge - I don't really care about having the whole thing white. What you have right now, with a light behind to highlight the edge would be perfect, IMO.

i think i agree... i would love to see just the slightest amount of detail or even silhouette of the helmet and/or parts of the helmet on the dark side. I'm all about leaving a little to the imgination, but without the bottom portion of the photo not sure I could figure out what the image was of. just my .02, however.

About spill, what colour is the inside of your snoot? A black snoot would give you quick fall-off from the edges, which may help.

I agree, a rim light would be nice. Damn good use of a nice hard light though.

Nice shot and lighting. I think its good now but also could use some experimenting with light setups! Well done..

Thank you all guys,

The inside of the snoot is black, and the whole thing is light secured, I will definatley experiment with other light set-ups.

Really appreciate all the comments,

LJ

Thank you all guys,

The inside of the snoot is black, and the whole thing is light secured, I will definatley experiment with other light set-ups.

Really appreciate all the comments,

LJ

Darn. Well maybe you could try using a longer one to really pin the light on your subject, and if there's any room to do so, move it closer. Eh, there's of course only so much that can be done. Moving the subject even further from the background might help as well to increase the fall-off of light from subject to background.

These are just my ramblings though; I don't know what you've tried and what you haven't. Maybe something in there is useful. :greenpbl:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back