File Formats...

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a computer technician... I know a lot about computer hardware and networking... But I fall short when it comes to some types of software.

Now, I understand that RAW is one of the most favored ways to shoot/store images.

I currently shoot in RAW and save the edits as JPEG...

However, I was curious; what is the preferred file type to use?

Obviously, JPEG is popular... But I've heard several comments about PNG or TIFF as well. Is there another file format that is better?

I like to shoot in RAW and save in 16-bit TIF. There's no such thing as a 16-bit JPG. The 16-bit color space is much better for editing purposes. Also you can save a TIF without compressing the image.

psd for saving layered files and non destructive editing and tiffs from converted psd's, jpeg only for printing is my preferred workflow. H

Here's my structure:

<dir> contains all raw files
<dir/_jpeg> (if needed) contains all the raws converted to small jpegs to create a gallery for the client to pick the images from
<dir/_final> contains all psds and jpeg exports of the edited images

And depending on the needs of the client, the jpegs can also be tiffs :)

i also shoot in raw, then save as a jpeg.

I shoot in jpg unless it's a sunset or floral shot that may end up as a 'fine art' (large) print
a difficult shot or large print shot are done in raw/jpg.
My day to day is construction documentary - large jpg are sufficient but an occasional raw worked n saved as tiff for special purpose (LARGE) print is needed.
Up to your style and needs. Each has pro & con.
Better to shoot big (raw) if you have time n memory, you can always downsize, but lil jpg's can't make a sofa size print

Excluding my sports action images, I capture images as RAW data files (T&I sports shots included). RAW edits are saved in embedded .XMP files.

Further Photoshop edits are saved as layered .PSD files with a copy saved as a layered TIFF only if required by the client.

Nothing gets converted to an 8-bit color depth (.JPG) until all 16-bit color depth options have been exhausted, which usually means when the image is converted for computer/web use or as a print.

I only use PNG for graphics files, never for photographic image files.

Since you are using GIMP check to see if you are working/saving in 16 bit. I believe GIMP mostly uses 8 bit with some 16 bit manipulation. From what I've read the next version will be totally 16 bit.

I usually shoot in jpg or raw depending upon use. I often shoot jpg if it's just a few quick pics of something I need to show my friends online or to sell something, but for most serious shooting I've already gone to shooting raw even though it's more work given the few CF cards I own are pretty space limited. Saving depends upon what I am using the shots for. I save raw, psd for images with layers or tiff. I use jpg now only if I am going to use it on a web page or send an image via email.

Rule of thumb since I've started using Camera Raw a bit more, if I think I want to edit it some more I save it in raw. If I think I'm done then I usually will save a tiff and a jpeg as well as the raw just to have extra versions I might need for other uses. Shot raw saved to corrected raw is a must because it's a non-destructive file, but since to use a pic for desktop publishing or web work I usually need tiff's and jpegs anyway having all three on the disc I save them to still comes in handy.

Preferred as in doing what? JPG's drawback is that the quality degrades when you save again. Unlike with a txt or a doc file, whose quality remains same, jpg files quality worsens with each save. They have a quality meter so keep above 90%.

I just zip original jpgs, and save into bak folder, edit and save at 90%.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back