File Type

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I be shooting in Jpeg or RAW? I know that the RAW files are much bigger than the jpeg, but size doesnt matter as I have lots of external hard drive space.

but size doesnt matter

Thats not what I have been told!!:mrgreen:

Back to the real question and I have a question for you now.Do you know what kind of Bucket of worms you have just opened here by asking that question?:lol: :lol:
Obviously not I am guessing.

Seriously though You will get 10 people saying shoot jpeg and 10 people saying shoot raw and they will stand by their opinion like it is the Gospel truth.
It comes down to whether you want to have your images proccessed in the camera for you(jpeg)
Or whether you want to have creative control in your Puter to proccess the images yourself(RAW).

Do a search on here for raw jpeg and you will find the threads about this same subject.
There is no right or wrong answer there is only what works for you.
I have asked every photog I have ever met whether He shoots Raw or Jpeg and they seem to balance out in the long run.

Here is a link about Raw files http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69886&highlight=raw

By the way Jpeg is the only way to go:thumbup:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ROOOOAAARRRRRRR! And then convert it to JPEG. I see many benfits in shooting RAW. But I don't see any advantages of keeping the files as RAW images once they are finished editing wise.

If you want to know more about the advantages / disadvantages then just search. You'll get 6 posts of me saying what I said just now. ... Well ... 7 now.

Raw, keep these as your "negatives" then convert to tiff for your editing and once all work is complete save as jpeg for output to print or archive. H

It's probably just a coincidence, but I seem to get sharper images when I shoot in RAW mode.

I usually shoot in RAW mode, adjust EV & tonal levels with the RAW editor, then convert to TIFF or JPG and do the rest in photoshop.

While we're on the topic, my Sony A-100 saves raw files as .ARW. I have photoshop elements right now. When I try to open a file with Elements, it has a drop down menu where I can select the format. When I select photoshop RAW or camera RAW it doesn't recognize my ARW files. Should it?

It's probably just a coincidence, but I seem to get sharper images when I shoot in RAW mode.

I usually shoot in RAW mode, adjust EV & tonal levels with the RAW editor, then convert to TIFF or JPG and do the rest in photoshop.

While we're on the topic, my Sony A-100 saves raw files as .ARW. I have photoshop elements right now. When I try to open a file with Elements, it has a drop down menu where I can select the format. When I select photoshop RAW or camera RAW it doesn't recognize my ARW files. Should it?

I think RAW produces a wider dynamic range hence the pictures looking better. Not sure about ARW - seems odd. But I didn't think Elements can handle RAW files. It can do TIFs though - do you have RAW conversion in the software that cam bundled with your camera?

My camera did come with RAW editing software that works pretty well. I usually convert to TIF with the raw image converter, then do the rest of my editing in photoshop and save as a JPEG.

I think RAW produces a wider dynamic range hence the pictures looking better. Not sure about ARW - seems odd. But I didn't think Elements can handle RAW files. It can do TIFs though - do you have RAW conversion in the software that cam bundled with your camera?

I have Elements v5 and it handles my RAW files (Nikon *.NEF files) with no problem.

~jen

Most reactions

Back