Fill Flash for large group at sunset

photop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I noticed an earlier thread that a speedlight will provide sufficient fill light for 10 people outside. I would like to do this at sunset using a quantum t4d flash but I wondered if someone could tell me what light modifier would work best? It seems an umbrella would be at risk of being wind blown, direct flash seems too hard so a softbox perhaps? If so, what size for 10 adults standing shoulder to shoulder? Thank you!

Honestly, any modifier big enough to cover 10 people is going to have the risk of the wind blowing it. The umbrella would be the cheapest and spread the light to cover all 10 people, IMHO.

A softbox will be almost as big as an umbrella, so no savings on wind surface.
I would go with a bowl reflector, just raise it a couple/few feet above the lens.
Just verify that the reflector will give you the coverage you need.

Honestly, any modifier big enough to cover 10 people is going to have the risk of the wind blowing it. The umbrella would be the cheapest and spread the light to cover all 10 people, IMHO.
Thank you! Advice well taken!

A softbox will be almost as big as an umbrella, so no savings on wind surface.
I would go with a bowl reflector, just raise it a couple/few feet above the lens.
Just verify that the reflector will give you the coverage you need.
Okay, thank you! That's an option I will consider!

Some thoughts and maybe not really and answer. You need an assistant to hold the reflector or the light box. That would eliminate any worries about wind?

Without going deep into complicated and expensive alternatives, I did use a couple of wireless slave flashes, triggered by the main, optically, for a softball team. Fill flash.

Before you get there, if anyone tries this, different cameras may have pre-flash (Canon) which tricks the slaves, to they need to have a delay built in.

You can also get RC flash triggers from places like eBay, that are inexpensive. My experience is, they use some unusual batteries and ended up in a drawer, not used. I liked the optical better.

I wondered if someone could tell me what light modifier would work best?

10 persons @ +/- 65 lose cm = 6m,5. Covering that group means to
backup a bit and, with a soft box, the light dispersion implies that the
150w/s may struggle — inverse square law oblige.

Facing that project, I would use the reflector on the flash and not worry
about hard light for a minute.

10 persons @ +/- 65 lose cm = 6m,5. Covering that group means to
backup a bit and, with a soft box, the light dispersion implies that the
150w/s may struggle — inverse square law oblige.

Facing that project, I would use the reflector on the flash and not worry
about hard light for a minute.
I had not thought of using a "Bowl reflector". I've never used that before. I guess it wouldn't be as hard as direct flash since it has a disk inside of it to do the reflecting and it would offer more light than the umbrella. What size would you recommend to cover that group of 10 adults if I place them fairly close together? I assume I would cross light the group for an even spread of light.

-

If you have no experience with the gear you have, how could you
think acquiring new stuff will be a solution?

I see too many unknowns of the shooting conditions and location,
maybe you should start by testing what you have in the most simi-
lar conditions and location.

-

If you have no experience with the gear you have, how could you
think acquiring new stuff will be a solution?

I see too many unknowns of the shooting conditions and location,
maybe you should start by testing what you have in the most simi-
lar conditions and location.
Yes, for sure! Thank you! Just exploring all options...:))

You are outside, not in a studio. What you can use and do is limited by nature, not what you want to use.
If there is ANY wind, most light modifiers will NOT work. They would simply become sails, catch the wind, and be blown over/away. The bigger the modifier, the bigger the sail, and the more air it will catch.

Using a bowl reflector IS the same as direct flash.

I don't think you have an option for the Quantum bowl reflector size.
It's been a LONG time, but I think it only comes in one size.

Since you have no experience with this, do a trial run BEFORE your shoot.

Do TWO tests.

#1 - Coverage and exposure.
Set up your family/friends, outside, to simulate the group, and see if you get the flash coverage and exposure that you need.
Adjust the distance to the group and/or arrangement of the group so that the flash illuminates all the people.

#2 - Balanced Exposure
Then do another test at sunset, to TRY to simulate the sunset lighting conditions, and see what you need to do to get a balanced exposure. Here you are trying to balance the flash exposure AND the sunset.
Because the sun is setting, you have a limited time to do this. That is why you need to figure out #1, BEFORE this test.
You need a plan, what if the sunset is brighter or dimmer than the exposure in #1 above. How do you adjust the exposure?

gud luk

You are outside, not in a studio. What you can use and do is limited by nature, not what you want to use.
If there is ANY wind, most light modifiers will NOT work. They would simply become sails, catch the wind, and be blown over/away. The bigger the modifier, the bigger the sail, and the more air it will catch.

Using a bowl reflector IS the same as direct flash.

I don't think you have an option for the Quantum bowl reflector size.
It's been a LONG time, but I think it only comes in one size.

Since you have no experience with this, do a trial run BEFORE your shoot.

Do TWO tests.

#1 - Coverage and exposure.
Set up your family/friends, outside, to simulate the group, and see if you get the flash coverage and exposure that you need.
Adjust the distance to the group and/or arrangement of the group so that the flash illuminates all the people.

#2 - Balanced Exposure
Then do another test at sunset, to TRY to simulate the sunset lighting conditions, and see what you need to do to get a balanced exposure. Here you are trying to balance the flash exposure AND the sunset.
Because the sun is setting, you have a limited time to do this. That is why you need to figure out #1, BEFORE this test.
You need a plan, what if the sunset is brighter or dimmer than the exposure in #1 above. How do you adjust the exposure?

gud luk
Absolutely! Thank you so much! Going out with my friends tonight to give this all a try. I do have SOME experience with balancing flash and daylight but I appreciate there is a wealth of experience out there that I can tap into through this forum to help myself constantly learn and improve, correct and do better. I so appreciate any and all input! My shoot isn't for another month so I will practice practice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back