Fill Flash off camera flash

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back to Digital Matt :) HE said I should try some OFF camera flashes for my portraits instead of the on camera flash.. Direct the light else where.. Fill flash I Guess is what this is called?

WOULD this flash be TO much? IF so I have a Nikon D70... A Flash I can use to bounce off the ceiling would work too.. Do you have any recommendations?

27045868.jpg

thanks!

Fill flash and off camera flash are different things. Fill is just a term for light that fills in the shadow areas without being the main light.

Bouncing the flash with a unit like this will be a big improvement over the built-in flash...but unless you move it off the camera...it's still on the camera.

What you need is some way to trigger a flash that is not sitting on your camera. You can do it with cords, with a flash trigger (it goes off at the same time as another flash) or with some sort of wireless radio trigger.

Have a look at this site and read though the lighting 101 section. You don't necessarily need the expensive Pocket Wizard system that he recommends...but there are a lot of good tips and techniques for off camera flash.

THanks Mike!

Most reactions

Back