Fill flash part 2- Feedback please!

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I have it! I had two photo shoots today with kids from my mom's group. It went really well! I tried to just be energetic and playful, and they really responded well to me!! These are just a couple from today, but I'm really pleased at how 95% of them turned out! I tried to keep everything in mind, from exposure, to not chopping off limbs, to getting sharp focus on eyes, and not having distracting backgrounds. Interestingly, keeping all that in mind, I shot about half as many shots as I have been, and was immensely more satisfied!

I did edit these, I love the eyes to really pop on the screen. Surprisingly, I didn't edit them a whole lot, just a few things to bring out detail!

Ok so let me have it... all of it! By the way, I'm getting a thicker skin, because I'm super confident that while these may not be perfect, I think they are damn good and a huge improvement from what I've been doing! Yay!
Bennete044-1.jpg

(His eyes really are that blue, I hardly touched them in pp! I feel really good about having used flash here, by the way!)

AdamandNathane035.jpg

(I know, I chopped off a little of his hair... nothing can be done about it, sadly, but I don't think it takes away from the image very much. Please tell me otherwise if you think it does!)

AdamandNathane028.jpg

(I love this one... I bribed him to sit nicely for me, under the agreement that he could take a photo of a squirrel with my camera! He did take a decent picture too, and he sat very nicely so I could get this shot!)

So needless to say, I'm satisfied and feel like I've majorly improved since just yesterday! Thanks to all the helpful advice I received yesterday!!!

The eyes are quite soft (out of focus) on the first one, shame really.

The eyes are quite soft (out of focus) on the first one, shame really.

Maybe it's just photobucket? They are crystal clear and very sharp on my monitor... hmmm.

Holy crap the second kid is cute - look at those eyes!

I'm not a fan of the first one. I think the pose is awkward - his arms look uncomfortable, like little chicken wings. I also think it would have been more flattering if the shot was taken from a lower angle... Since you used fill flash, I think the background could have been better exposed (it's a little over exposed). ANd I know you said that you didn't do much to the eyes in the first, but they seem... strange...

ANyways, hope some of that was helpful. I'm not a pro, and that's just my opinion - so make of it what you like :)

I really like the other two as far as posing/copmosition. Just watch out for chopping things like feet off:p They're also a little underexposed.

I think that I did get carried away with photoshop in that first picture, now that I'm looking back through all my pictures! Here's another one...

Bennete132.jpg

He was a serious cookie, I only managed to crack a few smiles, and I was practically doing backflips!!

The second two are VERY nice.
Pat yourself on the back.

Demon eyes!!!

I agree with the last two being nice and I also agree with the first photo being of the demon eyes.

Hahahha, yeah I realized that after uploading. I saved two different versions of the edit... one that I barely touched that looks awesome (and sharp!) and one that I played with in photoshop just for kicks... guess which one I uploaded?! :lmao:

Congratulations, you have made some BIG steps, I am seeing HUGE improvement! :)

I don't think the hair cut off in the second image is a big deal at all. Some folks might think the whole head needs to be in there, but I don't think that's always true. I cut them off the top a lot. A lot of promotional materials, ads I have seen and such will cut off the hair a bit.

If you have time to share, I'm curious if you needed to use any flash exposure compensation, or if these are what you were getting with the default flash settings.

Well, I'm excited for the improvements you are experiencing. Next step Manaul to control the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and flash, YIKES! ;)

Adorable subjects by the way.

Most reactions

Back