Fill Me Up - C&C

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I haven't been on here in a few months and hadn't had the time for much shooting. So making a comeback and getting back into things. This is an image I took on a farm near me recently with my new 17-40mm lens. Please give your C&C.

$20120714-IMG_1547-Edit.jpg

Like it very much, my kind of shooting. My usual "beef" is with the white sky.

Yep, I agree with Timor and Scuba 100% regarding the sky. Love the content though.

I don't think it completely ruins the shot, but I can imagine the improvement with clear skies and an orange filter (assuming this is film)

Rick58 said:
I don't think it completely ruins the shot, but I can imagine the improvement with clear skies and an orange filter (assuming this is film)

Actually this is a digital conversion. Canon 5D with 17-40mm f/4L. Conversion done in lightroom 2.

Does the sky distract from the image enough to worry about?
It is not a matter of distraction I would say but rather inaccuracy. In shots from vacations, street photography even architectural no one will pay attention to white sky, but in landscape large empty areas, will be it sky or bright wall, with lack of texture or detail feels like an omission. Is this film or digital ? Oh, It took me a minute to type. Digital conversion. Was the sky at the moment lightly blue ?

timor said:
It is not a matter of distraction I would say but rather inaccuracy. In shots from vacations, street photography even architectural no one will pay attention to white sky, but in landscape large empty areas, will be it sky or bright wall, with lack of texture or detail feels like an omission. Is this film or digital ? Oh, It took me a minute to type. Digital conversion. Was the sky at the moment lightly blue ?

I think the sky was relatively boring. Probably was light blue but don't remember exactly.

That is why it was rendered white I think. Maybe there is any remedy to that ? Digital gurus maybe have an answer ?

To me the issue is that if there's that much sky, there is less of the interesting subject. Best to get closer and re-frame. You could crop this to remove most of the sky and most of the roof, but I don't see the roof as essential here - it's much less interesting than the drums.

Well I wouldn't consider myself a digital "guru," but here's my take. It at least fixes the blown out sky.

$20120714-IMG_1547-Edit_tonemapped.jpg

I don't know if just having the sky darker makes it any better. I think it is the lack of detail in the sky that is the issue.

I don't know if just having the sky darker makes it any better. I think it is the lack of detail in the sky that is the issue.

Well usually having a lower exposure allows more sky detail to come out, so I did what I could.

Most reactions

Back