Fill this gap (lenses)

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my lens line up and it has one glaring poor example which I need to replace.
I have a 40D and a back up 10D

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Tamron AF18-200 f/3.5-6.3 :banghead:
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM
Canon EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
Canon EF 400 f2.8 L IS USM
Canon 1.4x and 2x TC's

The Tamron needs to go (the IQ just sucks IMHO). My thoughts are to go with either a walkabout lens of the best IQ in the same somewhat range or just fill the 18-70 gap with again the best IQ avaiable.

Discuss!! (Overlaps in focal length allowed, just give your reasoning and examples if you have some).

PS I would like to be able take three of this lens lineup for a travel kit ( considering airline travel and baggage limitations) and cover as many bases as possible.

24-105mm f4 L IS - decent range walkaround lens with IS

or the 24-70mm f2.8 L - better in lower light conditions though no IS and a shorter focal range.

Though 24mm is not that wide on a crop sensor camera

Gotta agree. But what are you looking to do with it? How fast of focus do you need? I hear nothing but great things about this lens (dont' know how fast it focuses):

Canon | Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | 8014A002

Or you could go the cheap route like I did. 85mm 1.8 (super fast focus) and the 17-40mm f4L. With flash the F/4 L is ok in doors, but if you can't use flash yer hosed. The 85mm picks up quite well on a crop body.

-JD-

Last edited:
While reading your question, the first lens that popped into my mind was the 24-105. For a three lens travel setup:
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Canon 24-105 f4
And your 2 extenders.

Derrick

Gotta agree. But what are you looking to do with it? How fast of focus do you need? I hear nothing but great things about this lens (dont' know how fast it focuses):

Canon | Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | 8014A002

Or you could go the cheap route like I did. 85mm 1.8 (super fast focus) and the 17-40mm f4L. With flash the F/4 L is ok in doors, but if you can't use flash yer hosed. The 85mm picks up quite well on a crop body.

-JD-

I prefer to shoot available light so a fast lens is preferred.

While reading your question, the first lens that popped into my mind was the 24-105. For a three lens travel setup:
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Canon 24-105 f4
And your 2 extenders.

Derrick

I was thinking along these lines but really wish the 24-105 was faster.

a faster 24-105mm f4 and a 24-70mm f2.8 with IS
two things many dream of having from canon - but sadly I don't think we will see them

When I do take along my SLR, I found the following quite flexible for travel; 1dMII + 24-105L + 100-400L + 50mm f/1.4 + 550EX + offshoe cord. All of it will fit into the relatively small camera bag (LowePro sling 200AW).

At times, I'll leave the 100-400L and take my tokina 19-35mm instead.

hows that Tok 11-16 working out for you?

Its a personal thing, but whilst I loved the 24-105 for general walk-about lens with my old film camera, I couldn't get on with it for that type of use on a crop-frame body because an EFL at the wide end of about 38mm wasn't enough. I always ended up taking and changing to a second wideangle.

I actually found that the 17-40mm more often covered the range that i needed but even then there were a lot of occasions where it didn't go long enough.

For me the ideal is an EFL of about 24 to 100 ish, so 15 to 70mm would be what I personally wanted on a crop body as a general purpose lens. The closest canon contender seems to be the EF-S 17-85mm IS (which may not work on the 10d, not sure) so that has to be a great contender - and the IS could be useful in low light (if its you, rather than the subject, thats moving).

For me personally, I liked the 24-105 so much as a lens that I decided to keep using this and go full frame digital to get the ranges back that i'd once had with film. This was for three reasons: 1-Canon don't seem to make L glass in an EFL that was suitable for me personally on cropped cameras, 2-getting the EF-s would have felt like a downgrade and 3-there seem to be used 5Ds (mk 1)s about now that the new model is out so it doesn't seem such a foolish idea.

But that was me, and I already had the 24-105 so perhaps it wouldn't be such a good alternative if you didn't. Also if you liked the cropped camera/lens combo with your other lenses and especially if you did a lot of telephoto stuff its probably not a good approach either. Thought you may be interested to hear it though, just in case.

Kevin

hows that Tok 11-16 working out for you?
I've only had since the first of the year but so far so good. I hope to use it a lot (indoors ...no flash) when I go to Italy in May.

Most reactions

Back