Filled my ultra wide gap

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Ever since going full frame with the D800 I have not had an ultra wide lens for it (nor 35mm film). Have the Tokina 11-16 for DX bodies. But widest I went was 20mm in FX. So finally ordered a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. Thought about waiting on the Sigma 14mm but I thought as good as the Nikon 14-24 is, I would probably get more use out of the zoom than the extra stop and 1/3 from the Sigma.

Goin' for the good stuff! I like that!

I would be interested in knowing how much barrel distortion it has. Please post some impressions after you have had a chance to test it.

Did you consider the Tamron? I used to own a 14-24 and switched to the Tamron 15-30. It is a better lens in every respect except for the slight extra bit of wide you get at the low end. I found with my Nikon I almost always backed off to 16-18 anyway.

Either way, if you decide to get a filter system for it, you can't beat the Haida system. Great value and top notch quality.

Did you consider the Tamron? I used to own a 14-24 and switched to the Tamron 15-30. It is a better lens in every respect except for the slight extra bit of wide you get at the low end. I found with my Nikon I almost always backed off to 16-18 anyway.

Either way, if you decide to get a filter system for it, you can't beat the Haida system. Great value and top notch quality.

You Jinxed me!!

I got my Nikon 14-24 today from Amazon. Only 1 problem. Clearly a used Tamron 15-30 was inside the Nikon box! Amazon sent me an open box / returned items as New item! Was Nikon box, with nikon manual, and nikon lens bag. But the tamron inside the Nikon lens bag. And No Nikon warranty slip.

Interesting story about the Tamron inside the Nikon box. Enjoy your 14-24. It's the only "trinity" lens I'm missing.
For now, I opted for a Tokina AT-X Pro 17mm F3.5 to fill that spot in my bag for I'm too scared to pay for the remaining trinity lens for I go "that wide" far less than I typically use the other two.
Time will tell though. I may cross that line, one day. For now, I'll slap the Tokina on when I'm needed something more wide than 24mm. Congrats on your purchase. Hope they've sent you the correct lens by now.

Interesting story about the Tamron inside the Nikon box. Enjoy your 14-24. It's the only "trinity" lens I'm missing.
For now, I opted for a Tokina AT-X Pro 17mm F3.5 to fill that spot in my bag for I'm too scared to pay for the remaining trinity lens for I go "that wide" far less than I typically use the other two.
Time will tell though. I may cross that line, one day. For now, I'll slap the Tokina on when I'm needed something more wide than 24mm. Congrats on your purchase. Hope they've sent you the correct lens by now.

The thing I noticed was the Tamron was a bit larger than the Nikon. I should have checked out the Tamron before I sent it back. But I closed everything right back up and started the return processing with Amazon.

Yea, they sent me another 14-24 lens next day shipping. Got it the next day and with the limited checking I did on it. So far so good.

The thing I noticed was the Tamron was a bit larger than the Nikon. I should have checked out the Tamron before I sent it back. But I closed everything right back up and started the return processing with Amazon.

Yea, they sent me another 14-24 lens next day shipping. Got it the next day and with the limited checking I did on it. So far so good.

Most excellent! Great news for sure. You should have filmed an original unboxing... ha!

You Jinxed me!!

I got my Nikon 14-24 today from Amazon. Only 1 problem. Clearly a used Tamron 15-30 was inside the Nikon box! Amazon sent me an open box / returned items as New item! Was Nikon box, with nikon manual, and nikon lens bag. But the tamron inside the Nikon lens bag. And No Nikon warranty slip.
Ouch. Good to hear though that the ending that you got what you really wanted.

I've heard great things about the 14-24.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back