film b&w 5 images

zandman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
zandz.multiply.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
shot with 35mm f2a. films were scanned to be "digitalized". c&c welcome.

jhgjhb0022.jpg

jhgjhb0002.jpg

jhgjhb0001.jpg

jhgjhb0003.jpg

jhgjhb0014.jpg

ps. dirts aren't sensor dirt. they were from the film, i wasn't able to clean them before scanning.

thanks for looking.

...dirts aren't sensor dirt...

Well, hardly, when you used film, eh? ;)

Nice ... makes me wish I finally got the 1-year-inside-it film finished and developed at last that is in my Leica... I all forgot what might be on it :(.

For me, that broken Rubik cube is the most appealing, I like the use of backlight here.
And I like the second street scene, though I certainly don't like the heavy vignetting... what caused it?

Well, hardly, when you used film, eh? ;)
i started using film like a year after i started using a dslr. kinda fun, i posted an album i did in film like long time ago, but it was colored. i just recently break into b&w film photography. january '09 to be exact. i develop my own film and make 8x10 prints on enlargers. scanned it to be put here for you guys to see. :)

And I like the second street scene, though I certainly don't like the heavy vignetting... what caused it?
caused by my rubber lens hood. all the images are intentionally not edited. just trying to be "au natural" :mrgreen:

thanks for the comment. appreciated big time. helps me improve. :)

The Rubic 'still life' is a delightfully inventive composition, well worth a matte and frame. I suspect the negative houses more shadow detail than that in the image presented here.

I am no expert on film, but I have been shooting film for a while. BUT all of those pictures seem to be lacking detail in the highlights. The sky on the 2nd one looks like it should have been burnt... you just lose the sky right off the page. composition the Rubik cube is my favorite as well might be over lighted tho?

^^ Agreed, regarding the highlight detail- but don't forget, the OP did say these were straight negative scans. The sky in all of them does show some detail, if a print were being made it could be burned in and make these much stronger images - particularly the last one, which I like the best here. Burn in that sky and lighten up the interior area so it's not as harsh, and you have a very appealing, casual portrait.

The main technical problem for me is the intrusion of the lens hood. It shows quite badly in both the first and second shots.

Keep shooting! :) You have a lot of potential here.

thanks for the comments.

as for editing, i did adjust most of my prints in the enlarger with contrast and more exposure time.

the last image with the girl, yea its hard to meter plus the fact that the meter in my camera isn't working..
i tried to make her face more clearer and make the background/framing a little silhouette. i'll be able to take a picture of the 8x10 print i did of that one next week. i'm no expert in all the darkroom techniques yet so comments and suggestions are all welcome.

thanks. :)

one more thing I noticed... your Negatives are a little dirty looking too.... that or the lens on the enlarger might have dust on it or something... make sure you clean well with dust off and a nice emulsion cleaner.

yea, its the film. i always forget to clean them before i make prints and even before scanning them. i use film cleaner brush to clean my films and that liquid thingy with a cotton ball. yea i think thats the emulsion cleaner. hehe.i clean them when i have a lot of time. i'll do it next time. thanks. =]

There are two ways to deal with dust on negatives.

The first is to view the negative positioned in the holder with strong slanting light. Carefully use a soft brush or compressed air to remove all dust from both sides of the negative.

The other way is to become very good with spotting pencils or spotting ink.

Absent a situation in which you are making many duplicate prints, either process takes about the same amount of time.

Most reactions

Back