Film base

CapnRon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings All,
After about 20 years without a darkroom, I'm finally returning to B&W photography. I've just developed test rolls of Fuji Neopan and Arista EDU Ultra, both 120, 400 ISO. The base of the Fuji is pink and the base of the Arista is blue. Both rolls were developed using the same chemicals. Are these tints normal? This is my first experience with these films. I won't be printing anything until I've completed these film speed tests, so I don't know what to expect from these negatives. How do these tints affect picture quality?
CapnRon

From experience, I have seen different film base colours for different films and they all printed well. Unfortunately, I never used the 2 films you are using, so I cannot say if the colours are 'normal'. Somebody else might help. However, I would not worry too much and would try printing to see the end results.

Greetings All,
After about 20 years without a darkroom, I'm finally returning to B&W photography. I've just developed test rolls of Fuji Neopan and Arista EDU Ultra, both 120, 400 ISO. The base of the Fuji is pink and the base of the Arista is blue. Both rolls were developed using the same chemicals. Are these tints normal? This is my first experience with these films. I won't be printing anything until I've completed these film speed tests, so I don't know what to expect from these negatives. How do these tints affect picture quality?
CapnRon
The pinkish problem was brought up a few months back, by Garbz, I think. I forget what he came up with. Maybe you could try giving a strip from each roll a good washing to see if that helps.

Ive shot a few rolls of Neopan SS, It has always come much clearer than any kodak films ive shot. When you say pink, how pink are we talking? I dont think you will have an issue scanning or printing as long as its not fogged.

I was told long ago that a slight pinkish/purplish tint was normal for most films, but that a strong tint was a sign that it wasn't fixed long enough. Not sure about blue, though.

Thanks everyone,
I've had a number of suggestions that either my fixer was tired or I didn't fix long enough. I'm told that fixing the roll again wont hurt so I'll mix up some new fixer and try again.
CapnRon

If I'm not mistaken, a sodium sulfite solution will eliminate most of the color, or refixing as you mentioned.

Most reactions

Back