Film Camera for $50 "Canadian"

Brooklyn Albertan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the opportunity to land one of the following for about $50.00, al in working order. Any suggestions - I'm leaning towards the Pentax P3;

Pentax P3 w/50mm Pentax lens
Voigtander Vito 2 Automatic
Minolta Hi-Matic G2 w/38mm lens
Pentax K-1000 (body only - $80)
Canon T70 w/Canon 52mm Sky 1-A Lens
Zeiss Ikon Contaflex
Zeis Ikon Ikonta

Obviously a very general question. I want something with both automatic and manual capabilities, not too complicated... Again, all are in good working order, from what I can both tell, and have been old.

Thanks in advance.

If it was me I'd buy both the Pentax P3 and the K1000. Both use the same lens mount. The K1000 will last just about forever although fully manual. Only draw back about the P3 is it has a plastic body where as the K1000 is built like a tank.

If it was me I'd buy both the Pentax P3 and the K1000. Both use the same lens mount. The K1000 will last just about forever although fully manual. Only draw back about the P3 is it has a plastic body where as the K1000 is built like a tank.
I was thinking along the same lines, but I also have an ME-Super. I thought the P3 would be a bit of a change from "fully manual". (By the way, I see you are in St. Louis. I lived in Dogtown, on Tamm Avenue, prior to coming to Canada!)

Another vote for the K-1000. Classic, bomb-proof, fixable. Might need new light seals but it's a DIY job. I'd pass on the rest. Stay away from any oldie with bellows with no replacement likely or most using obsolete batteries or selenium onboard meters. Film and processing are too pricey now to nurse retro invalid gear.

Last edited:
Another vote for the K-1000. Classic, bomb-proof, fixable. Might need new light seals but it's a DIY job. I'd pass on the rest. Stay away from any oldie with bellows with no replacement likely or most using obsolete batteries or selenium onboard meters. Film and processing are too pricey now to nurse retro invalid gear.
The P3/P30 had some sort of internal battery for the light meter, didn't it?

I assume you'd take the K-1000 over my ME-Super, and that $80.00 is a fair price for "body only" (should add it's an Asahi Pentax K1000, but the seller has not run film through it. Just found this out).

Last edited:
The P3/P30 had some sort of internal battery for the light meter, didn't it?

I assume you'd take the K-1000 over my ME-Super, and that $80.00 is a fair price for "body only"??
Condition-dependent, as always. ME Supers are cool. I've seen near-mint K-1000s and others that looked to have survived the Iran-Iraq War. Huge seller historically but hot now for their look and legendary durability. Catnip for new film shooters.

I will add another vote for the K1000. I've been shooting with mine for 30 years and I never get tired of using it. Built like a tank accurate. There are so many great lenses that can be used - including the M42 screw mount if you get the adapter - so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of glass.

Having said all that, I might be tempted by the Contaflex.

I will add another vote for the K1000. I've been shooting with mine for 30 years and I never get tired of using it. Built like a tank accurate. There are so many great lenses that can be used - including the M42 screw mount if you get the adapter - so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of glass.

Having said all that, I might be tempted by the Contaflex.
Looks like an easy win for the K1000. I have read good things about the Contaflex, and have seen good photos taken with them. In a way, for me - and for various reasons - they are all tempting in their own way.

When I was teaching (high school photography), every time I went traveling, I would hit all the local pawn shops and buy every K-1000 I found. Some were in better shape than others, but they either served a student's needs or I had an extra for parts. I had a friend who worked on film cameras for years who taught me how to work on the K-1000's and the pretty much all the Nikons.

When I was teaching (high school photography), every time I went traveling, I would hit all the local pawn shops and buy every K-1000 I found. Some were in better shape than others, but they either served a student's needs or I had an extra for parts. I had a friend who worked on film cameras for years who taught me how to work on the K-1000's and the pretty much all the Nikons.
Seems the unanimous consensus is the K1000. Hoping to get it for less than listed. Stay tuned! ;)

I have nothing against the K1000 but my opinion is they are currently overpriced. Any of the other K-series models would be a better choice and usually cost less (assuming proper working condition).

Also, I wouldn't say that the last of the K1000s were built like tanks. The body's top and bottom covers and some other parts were changed to plastic to cut costs and the prism is prone to issues that cause an ugly black splotch to grow inside the viewfinder. Earlier examples are better made. If you must buy one, avoid the dreaded "5-screw" K1000. (five screws on the bottom plate). That was the last and worst of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back