Film Camera for Photography Class

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been interested in Photography for as long as I can remember. But, it wasn't until recently that I received a Canon T2i for christmas which while I've learned quite a bit, I've decided to take a photography class this fall at college, as a requirement I need a "35mm camera with full manual control required", I have a Canon T50 with a few FD lenses, but the problem is I can't manually control the shutter speed only aperture. I also randomly found an Olympus OM40 in a drawer, but sadly no lenses. So I'm not sure if I should just go with something like a Canon AE1, T90 or another Canon FD body, or is the OM40 good enough to consider purchasing lenses for it? I have a few M39 and M42 lenses that I've adapted for my T2i (EF Lenses are expensive!), would I be worth purchasing a M42 body?

I guess my choices are:

1.Canon FD body for FD lenses I already own
2. Lenses for the OM40
3. M42 body for M42 lenses I own (additional lenses and equipment is cheap as well)
4. A M39/Leica Copy Rangefinder (I would like to experiment with one anyways)
5. Something else!

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Course Description:
Film-based black and white photography including camera control, film processing, and darkroom printing. 35mm camera with full manual control required. No credit toward art major.

Last edited:
Any of your choices would be fine. Getting a Canon FD body would probably easiest and cheapest since you already have FD lenses.
An M42 body would be cheap too but probably not as easy to learn on as a Canon SLR.

Find a college that has crossed over into the 21st century along with photography and will teach you using your T2i which does provide full manual control.

Joe

I've already had quite a few conversations regarding that particular topic, but if I take this class (photography isn't my major) it will get me out of humanities (a course of which I'm not too fond.) So I guess I'll have to settle with shooting on film for the time being.

I've already had quite a few conversations regarding that particular topic, but if I take this class (photography isn't my major) it will get me out of humanities (a course of which I'm not too fond.) So I guess I'll have to settle with shooting on film for the time being.

I'm a college photography professor and I'd much rather teach you using the T2i. I could do the best possible job if we used that camera and you have my condolences.

Joe

I appreciate the honesty, the photography department seems to be set in the stone age, while they do offer a few digital photography classes, the undergraduate classes are mostly film based. I am just hoping I can at least post process digitally.

Find a college that has crossed over into the 21st century along with photography and will teach you using your T2i which does provide full manual control.

Joe

Crap answer most Uni's in UK still teach with film **** digital

An M42 body would be cheap too but probably not as easy to learn on as a Canon SLR.
Why ? It is same here and there. But if OP hase already FD lenses Canon FTb may proof fun. Manual is online.
Canon FTb instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

I said the Canon would be easier than an M42 camera only because the Canon would have full aperture metering and an M42 body requires stop-down metering (an extra step which some newbies find confusing).

I appreciate the honesty, the photography department seems to be set in the stone age, while they do offer a few digital photography classes, the undergraduate classes are mostly film based. I am just hoping I can at least post process digitally.

Sounds to me like they are trying to keep the plebs out for whatever reason.

Regardless, I'd look around for a good russian (or a Canonet Glll QL17 if you aren't the adventurous type) rangefinder. Smallish enough to be easily carried, fun yet something of a challenge to use, looks cool and will likely add to a fine repertoire of back when I was in college stories.

But, that's me. Smart thing to do is to go with a T90.

The AE-1 will suit the job well. And they're everywhere cheap. I have 3 of the damn things.

I'll keep watching on eBay and attempt to find a good deal on an AE-1 or a T90, but I also most likely will pick up a FED/Zorki to have additionally. I've never had the opportunity to shoot with a rangefinder, an experience that I know will be challenging, but both exciting and rewarding as well.

Joe

Crap answer most Uni's in UK still teach with film **** digital

I can't speak for what they're doing in the Old Country:

$flat_earth.jpg

But here in the New World I live in St. Louis with a metro area population of nearly 3 million. If you wanted that camera new today in St. Louis, you'd be out of luck. The number of available new 35mm films cameras in stock and ready to sell here in St. Louis = 0. So teaching a photo class based on access to a 35mm film camera means relying on the used market. Seriously? In other words on the first day of class the instructor has to say this: "There aren't enough people left on the planet that do this to justify selling new hardware so you'll have to hustle right away and find a used camera. Check with your Grandma."

Joe

Why ? It is same here and there. But if OP hase already FD lenses Canon FTb may proof fun. Manual is online.
Canon FTb instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

I said the Canon would be easier than an M42 camera only because the Canon would have full aperture metering and an M42 body requires stop-down metering (an extra step which some newbies find confusing).
OK. Got you, yes, you are right here. I don't think about it as I never use internal light meters. (Except in digital where I don't care.)

Most reactions

Back