Film Camera Recommendation

CaranDache

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to get back into film photography and I would like some recommendations on where to start. I am interested in medium format 6x6 6x7 and 6x9 (not interested in 645) but my budget is $500 and then if I find I like shooting film I am willing to spend $2k-$3k for a camera. If my budget of $500 is too small for medium format then I will consider 35mm.

I want to shoot landscapes and portraits mostly without a tripod (which I know can be difficult with many medium format type cameras).

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Any medium format camera in good working order you can afford by Rollei, Yashica, Mamiya, Bronica,
Pentax, Hasselblad or Fuji.

I would also suggest re-thinking the tripod thing. The bigger the format, the more a tripod is needed
to get the most from your camera.

I have been looking at a Pentax 67 because I like the SLR style but I hear it is difficult to use off of a tripod. I like the Fuji and the Mamiya medium format rangefinders but they are out of my price range.

Yes, re-think the tripod situation. I've been shooting large format and roll film since 1977 and I have not made one single hand held exposure since then, ever. Big film is not just scaled up 35mm or digital. It works differently. The spectacular results it delivers don't just come from bigger (and seriously more expensive) negatives.

For what it's worth, the best MF camera system in terms of picture quality, versatility, durability, and low price is the Mamiya RB67. And you would not want to trash your effort by skimping on a tripod and consigning random unpredictable frames to the bin because they have camera-shake in them.

My favorite is a Plabuel Makina, but they are not easy to find, and a good one is out of that price range.

It is a folder and a rangefinder type, can be hand held however, as many have already mentioned a tripod is a very good thing to add to your equipment list.

I disagree with the tripod suggestion. There are plenty of MF cameras that can be used without one. I shot weddings with a CM500 and TLRs are just fine also. The beast that is the RB67 is definitely heavy and would get tiring but there are other choices.

I would think the Pentax 67 should also be fine hand held because of it's SLR shape.

Then again, people used to shoot "Press Cameras" up to 4x5 handheld. And some of those cameras are available, with a bit of looking and patience, in the OP's price range.

I have been looking at a Pentax 67 because I like the SLR style but I hear it is difficult to use off of a tripod. I like the Fuji and the Mamiya medium format rangefinders but they are out of my price range.

I have a Pentax 67 and I find it usable hand-held. Ergonomically, it's just a scaled up
35mm SLR. It's especially hand-holdable with the 90mm lens, which is the smallest &
lightest for that camera. I would still recommend a tripod though.

Otherwise, the Fuji 645 cameras are very hand-holdable. I have the Fuji GA645Zi which
is basically an auto-focus medium format point&shoot with zoom lens yet.

Any medium format camera in good working order you can afford by Rollei, Yashica, Mamiya, Bronica,
Pentax, Hasselblad or Fuji.

I would also suggest re-thinking the tripod thing. The bigger the format, the more a tripod is needed
to get the most from your camera.

Agreed. Without flash you WILL need a tripod. With flash you will wish you had one in many situations. Otherwise you are limited by the film speeds that you can use.

I really like how smooth and sharp medium format photographs are but it sounds like 35mm is for me because I am not interested in using a tripod.

I like Contax because of the Zeiss optics but I have heard that people do not like to work on them...would I be better off with a Nikon F3 than a Contax Aria?

I really like how smooth and sharp medium format photographs are but it sounds like 35mm is for me because I am not interested in using a tripod. I like Contax because of the Zeiss optics but I have heard that people do not like to work on them...would I be better off with a Nikon F3 than a Contax Aria?
You don't need a tripod for a 6x4.5 medium format slr or a 6x6 tlr.If u want a nikon 35mm slr go for the f100. If that's not "retro" enough for u I'd suggest an fe2. The LCD meter in the f3 sucks IMO.

I really like how smooth and sharp medium format photographs are but it sounds like 35mm is for me because I am not interested in using a tripod. I like Contax because of the Zeiss optics but I have heard that people do not like to work on them...would I be better off with a Nikon F3 than a Contax Aria?
You don't need a tripod for a 6x4.5 medium format slr or a 6x6 tlr.If u want a nikon 35mm slr go for the f100. If that's not "retro" enough for u I'd suggest an fe2. The LCD meter in the f3 sucks IMO.

I do not want to shoot 6x4.5 so my only other option is a 6x6 TLR?

Ive used my pentax 67 handheld as well. Its kinda like working an oversized k1000. I will say that its spent most of its time on a tripod with MU for best results. I also have a pentax 645 which in my opinion is better than the 67 for handheld use.

Well I bought a Hasselblad 503cx kit with a standard 80mm Zeiss lens...so much for the $500 budget. Now I have to learn how to use it...and buy a light meter.

Any recommendations on an affordable tripod?

Most reactions

Back