film cameras?

Reaction score
Website
www.eric-ralls.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm a semi-novice photographer working on a Canon AE-1 Program that my aunt gave me 3-4 years ago. I'm looking to maybe upgrade a little and get a new film SLR. Eventually I'll go digital, but I prefer film for SLR stuff right now. I have a Canon a520 that works fine.

A local store has an EOS a2 or a Elan IIe for $95 each. I hear bad things about the dial on the a2 and the Elan is a bit old I believe. I haven't looked into either too far, but just give me opinions on these or any others that might be decent. New or used. Thanks a ton. :D

Question:

What do you want in a different SLR that the Canon AE1-P does not have? I'd say get your skills honed on that AE1, it's an awesome camera, then make the jump to DSLRs.

Just my thinking here... ;)

I have had an EOS10 for almost 2 years now and just the other day I bought an AE-1! As Dimitri said, what is it that you want in a camera that AE-1 doesn't have... Pretty much the only thing you could want is the autofocus. If you've got a decent lens on the AE-1 and you don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on an auto-focus setup then I really would ask yourself what it is that you dont' have.

It's usually best to up-grade when you've run into definite limitations in your gear that keep you from doing what you want to do. You know just what to look for in the upgrade.

You sound like you are just bored and looking for something to buy. [This is not a bad thing -- in fact, it's part of being human .] So . . .

Do you have situations when you would rather take the shot in b&w rather than color? A second body and a set of filters for b&w.

Do you want to take really close close-ups? A set of extension tubes. Be prepared to learn how to use them effectively.

And lenses. You can fill in a gap in the range of focal lengths of the lenses you have. Or extend the range.

And speaking of b&w, there's always the whole darkroom thing to explore. At the very least, you can process your own negatives.

And then there's retro. [Tip of the hat to Mysteryscribe.] I just picked up a beautiful Argus C-4 on ebay for $7. It's fully functional. Kinda nice to wander around taking pictures with a piece of photographic history.

Woo! The Brick! Cool camera. I had a couple of them.

I had an A2e and an EOS5 and didn't have any problems with the dials, but I know that others did. They are great cameras, but as others have said, if you don't have a specific reason for upgrading, it's not really an upgrade. It's not going to make your pictures any better.

I like what Torus did, and it's what I did when I had that urge to buy a camera based on boredom: don't look for an upgrade, look for something funky and cool. Might I also suggest an Agfa Clack?

I'm not sure but I think the EOS uses a different mount than the AE-1 which uses the Canon FD mount lenses. You might consider compatability.

airgunr said:
I'm not sure but I think the EOS uses a different mount than the AE-1 which uses the Canon FD mount lenses. You might consider compatability.

Sounds like you might have to choose between getting a camera that's compatible with your existing FD lenses, or buying into the EOS system and having lenses you can also use when you go digital.

Yes, the AE-1 uses FD lenses and the EOS uses EF lenses. But the lenses for the film EOS and digital aren't going to work the same since the focal length on DSLRs is shorter. Not really a problem, except for wide angle shots...just throwin' that out there.

Most reactions

Back