Film coming up blank

Maysghost

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a beginner film photographer, and I went yesterday to pick my photos up from the camera store. Unfortunately, they all came up blank. The person working at the store told me it was probably because the film didn't catch properly, and I should make sure that the rewind lever turns as I advance the film (I'm shooting on a Canon AE-1 Program). I checked my camera to see if the lever was spinning as I advanced, and it was. Even though it is possible that I did not properly load the film the first time, and this time I did it correctly, could something else be causing my photos to come up blank?

I also shoot on an Agfa Optima Sensor, and I am wondering how to check if the film is advancing correctly on it since it does not have a traditional rewind lever.

The lab is correct in guessing that the film did not advance. I have seen it thousands of times at my lab. Other than that if the camera shutter is not working or the film was shot VERY unexposed the film will be blank.
I always load the film and advance once while the back is open to make sure it catches, once the door is closed I rotate the rewind knob to apply slight tension and as I go to frame one I watch to see if it is rotating and I have tension as I advance.

Not sure about your Agfa. There are Y-Tube vids on how to use and a manual can be bought from several different sites.
Here is a very good review on that Agfa....

The lab is correct in guessing that the film did not advance. I have seen it thousands of times at my lab. Other than that if the camera shutter is not working or the film was shot VERY unexposed the film will be blank.
I always load the film and advance once while the back is open to make sure it catches, once the door is closed I rotate the rewind knob to apply slight tension and as I go to frame one I watch to see if it is rotating and I have tension as I advance.

Not sure about your Agfa. There are Y-Tube vids on how to use and a manual can be bought from several different sites.
Here is a very good review on that Agfa....
This was so helpful! I found the manual for my Agfa online, and it described how to check if the film was advancing properly, and it was. As for my Canon, I will be more diligent about checking my exposure and look more into ensuring my shutter is working correctly. Thanks again.

I lost a whole roll of a one-time-only event with our kids for that very reason. Not one photo. And I knew better than to assume the film was advancing properly.

When I had an AE-1, I would always turn it just a bit to see that the leader stayed on the spool before I closed the back. I might lose the first frame to light fogging, but after losing a roll, I decided a frame was an easy trade! My later Nikon N90 was motor-driven and if I recall, I just had to trust that it was loaded. It was easier to load, though, just lay the film over the take-up side, I didn't have to actually slot it into the spool, and I never lost a roll to to not feeding. The only way that camera wouldn't feed is if you just left the film way short when you loaded it.

If it does happen this new roll, and the film is winding ... then do not put another roll in until you examine the movement of both shutter curtains and lens aperture at different settings.

For any camera new to you, it's prudent to check the shutter and diaphragm operation before loading the first roll.

Oh I so remember when this happened to me. I was on top of a mountain taking pictures. It was a nasty climb and one I won’t do again. When I got to picture 38 I realized something was wrong. Ugh so frustrating. All the above advice is great. And like the others I never shut the door until I make dang sure it is locked into the take up spool.

For any camera new to you, it's prudent to check the shutter and diaphragm operation before loading the first roll.

And after you do that, run a roll through it taking non-critical images of just 'stuff' to make sure everything is working.

And after you do that, run a roll through it taking non-critical images of just 'stuff' to make sure everything is working.
Absolutely - and it ought to be a fresh roll that you're familiar with. Saves chasing your tail!

Plus one more on winding before closing the door; I'll often even waste an extra frame or two just to be sure.
I found my Nikkormat FTN won't advance if there's too much tension on the film in the canister. I don't know if my camera is getting worn or if I just put too much tension on the film (most likely). Since I stopped trying to tension the film (to see the rewind knob turn sooner) I haven't had a problem. I typically see the knob turn by the first or second shot anyway. If for some reason I don't I'll rewind the film all the way, use a film retriever and try again.

Most reactions

Back