Film damaged by Lab or airport scanner?

PhotoFanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I brought 5 rolls of films to my local pro lab to have them develope and scanner after coming back from our trip to the Caribbean. The two rolls of Portra 160VC and one roll of Fujifilm Astia came out perfect. The two rolls of Kodak Ektachrome E100G came out bad. The scanned images from the E100G has many many blurred area. What I mean is the photo is perfectly focused but half of the face is sharp and the other half looks like someone has used a blur tool in photoshop to blur it out.

Have any of you encountered something like this? Could this caused by the airport handbag scanner? I'm thinking it's the lab's fault since all of the other rolls came out fine. It just happened to the two Ektachome E100G.

I'm pretty new to film so please help if you know anything about this.

Last edited:
Without seeing it I'd say it most likely occurred when the lab scanned the negs.

I'd guess that it's unlikely that the handbag scanner damaged the film...very low levels of x-ray (or whatever) used there. If anything it might cause fogging...not blurry spots.

What you didn't mention is how the negatives look. If they look fine, then it's very likely a scanning issue, but if the film itself shows these defects, the it's not the scanning and either the film itself was defective or it was ruined in the developing process.

I've heard it is best to request that your bag be searched by had if you have film in it.

The negatives look fine to my untrained eyes and I did asked the airport to hand check them. They actually went throught the scanner on the cruiseship about 4 times (they refused to hand check due to the lack of equipment). I believe the intensity of X-ray on these older machines are pretty low comparing to the ones at the airport.

Film is x-ray sensitive I had undeveloped film fog with colour blotches years ago coming back from Mexico.

Penetrating Backscatter x-rays used in about 1/2 new airport body scanners are damaging to your DNA.

You can still get lead bags to protect your film.

Many years ago I had film fogged in an airport scanner and from then I requested a hand check. No problems except in Paris they made me go to the end of the queue.

Most reactions

Back