Film Developing/Holga Quesion

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I shot some color 120 film in my Holga, and dropped it off at my developer. I got the shots back today and they're not very Holga-ish.. I noticed that it said Kodak Perfect shots, or something like that. It said that it corrects things on the film, so would that make it so the trademark Holga stuff (blurriness, vignetting) doesn't show up?

Who do you use to develop your color Holga shots?

Thanks

Well the next time you deliver the film, tell the people that you don't want any form of colour corection or anything like that. That works for me. Also I prefear to shoot using Fujifilm.

So do you think that's what happened? Does the correction happen on the film itself, or the actual prints? Could I have them reprint them without the correction or is the film ruined?

I'm frustrated because I can't get anything but Kodak Color 120 film. I ordered some Ilford B/W 120 film online, but I'm waiting for it to get here. I can develop my own B/W, but not color, so I have to do whatever they give me. Do you get film locally or online?

sillyphaunt said:
the trademark Holga stuff (blurriness, vignetting) doesn't show up

They shouldn't be able to "fix" blurriness and the vignetting, unless they are cropping the image. Maybe you have a faulty Holga and it takes decent pictures ;) Look at the negs, to see what the image really is.

sillyphaunt said:
Do you get film locally or online?

Click on the Freestyle logo above ^

I love the Arista Pro 125 and 400 in 120 size. It's supposed to be Ilford FP4 and HP5 in a generic sort of label. And it's cheap. I also get my color film here. You can probably find film for a few cents a roll cheaper at B + H, but I've been happier with the service from Freestyle.

Ksmatt: I think they are cropping, because I can clearly see the vignetting around the edges in the negatives, but not in the prints.

Can I take them to the darkroom at the college and print it B/W to test it?

I'll check out Freestyle, thanks :)

sillyphaunt said:
Ksmatt: I think they are cropping, because I can clearly see the vignetting around the edges in the negatives, but not in the prints.

Can I take them to the darkroom at the college and print it B/W to test it?

I'll check out Freestyle, thanks :)

Just tell them that it was shot with a Holga and you want as much of the neg printed as possible. Many places can't print 100% full frame, but they can get close.

I'll try that, Thank you.

Also, do you do your own color printing/devloping? That's a different process than B/W, right? Is it a lot more complicated?

sillyphaunt said:
I'll try that, Thank you.

Also, do you do your own color printing/devloping? That's a different process than B/W, right? Is it a lot more complicated?

I have only done it when I took color photography classes in college. As far as developing (C41 or E6) it's still cheaper to get it done at a lab than to do it yourself. It's not any harder than developing BW, although you have to be more precise with the temps (I try to be very precise with my BW too). Color printing (I've only done RA process) is also very similar to BW. You need a different safe light, and an enlarger with built in filters is very handy.

While I found it fun, overall the materials are more expensive and toxic, and what you can do with color in the darkroom seemed somewhat limited compared to BW. The BW I develop and print looks different than what I get from my local pro lab. The color I developed and printed looked very similar to what I was getting from the local pro lab (and the lab was cheaper).

Most reactions

Back