film for manual cameras!!

lukeybaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am quite new to all manual slr's etc, i have a pentax sf-7, which reads the ISO of a film automatically. i understand that a 100 ISO film will let in less light, but be more crisp then say a 400 ISO film, and a 400 ISO film will let in more light, right?. my other question is..... what brand of film should i use???????? what about the new kodak "high definition" film, is that any good???

luke z

Have not yet to try Kodak High Definition, but most people there speak poorly about it, have used Kodak Portra VC 160 & 400, Fuji NPS 160 and Agfa Portrait-160 all with good results, the only big different is that Agfa produces a soft image. Most differences in films end up being person preface.

Try the Kodak Portra VC 160 first

A rule of thumb that a pro once gave me was this: decide what colors will predominate the shots you're about to take, and use film accordingly.
( I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I have found it to be true)
Fuji comes in a green box, and it handles greens and blues much better than others.

Kodak comes in a yellow box, and it handles yellows and reds better.

That being said, my favorites are Fuji Superia or Reala 100, Kodak Portra 400 UC, Fuji NPS 160 in print films, and Fui Velvia and Provia slide films.

ok, with all the advice you guys have given me im thinkin fuji or agfa!!??

jeff- when you say soft image, do you mean that it is not as crisp???

luke z

p.s- are fuji, agfa and kodak good for macro aswell????

The Agfa Portrait 160 is, obviously, intended for studio portrait work. I haven't used it myself, but my understanding is that it tends to produce a softer focus image, which is usually a plus in portrait work, but not so great for other types of photography.

As for macro work, I don't have a lot of experience, but I would think any fine-grained film would be good (eg Fuji Reala 100 for prints or ProviaF 100 for slides).

Fuji makes great color film, so find yourself some cheap Fuji Superia, buy loads of it, and get out and start shooting. A beginner's time is better spent taking photographs than trying to track down the subtle differences in film. Besides, in five years the film market is going to be all weeded out by the digital revolution, and none of us film-geeks may have many choices. Don't be afraid to let "cheap" and "easy to find" be important criteria in your film selection.

ksmattfish said:
Besides, in five years the film market is going to be all weeded out by the digital revolution, and none of us film-geeks may have many choices.

Nooooooooo. :x *covers ears* I'm not listening to this, I'm not listening to this... :cry:

for color I would go with fuji... For school I have been using NPS 160, nice, but kinda $$$ for just snapshoots. There slide film is also get, but not cheap. For black and white I have been using tri-x 400 as of late, but ilford makes great film. It also depends on what you would like to take pictures of. If inside, you may want to go with a film made for that like NPL, or kodak portia...

good luck.

Most reactions

Back