Film for Wedding, thoughts about Kodak Portra? Agfa Optima?

japmula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello!
i'm doing a wedding in a few months for the first time. i've only done B&W photography before, so this is also my first attempt at using color profressionally. i'm currently researching which film would be best. so far,
kodak portra professional color print film appears to be pretty ideal. however, i don't know which one to choose. there's kodak porta 400nc (natural color), 400uc (ultra or very vivid), & 400vc (vivid). there's also agfa optima ii & fugifilm nph as potential options. any suggestions/recommendations anyone may have will be greatly appreciated! :D
thank you!!!

I can't comment on AGFA optima but I don't think the skintones with that film are very accurate. I prefer Portra 160 or 400VC for portraits. Awesome skintones and vivid colors. It's my favorite print film.

yeah, my favourite print film is Portra 160VC. It gives brilliant tones and can really liven up a dull day, I used it on a wedding two weeks ago. The results were very satisfying.

I have seen some wedding work done with the Portra 160NC that were beautiful. This photograper had also done some test shots with it and a model in a wedding dress. He intentionally over and under exposed by 4 stops or more, and still got printable pictures. I don't know if the VC or UC has the same latitude.

That being said, I love all the Portra films. I have 160NC, 160VC and 400UC in my bag right now.

Thank you all for the advice! What's the difference between 160 and 400 speed? I mean, I thought it'd be better to use a higher speed film for wedding, no?

japmula said:
Thank you all for the advice! What's the difference between 160 and 400 speed? I mean, I thought it'd be better to use a higher speed film for wedding, no?

Well, it really does depend on the light levels.

A slower film is going to gives less grainy effects, which personaly I prefer, especially on colour film. Grainy black and white images can be just as nice though. Well known wedding photographer Annabel Williams uses 1600 B&W film. Its really down to personal preference, the requirments of the couple getting married and your shooting style.

Check the weather reports first, then the location - if its in a church you may need quicker film. Your best bet is to bring a selection and make a choice when you get there. Good luck.

voodoocat said:
I can't comment on AGFA optima but I don't think the skintones with that film are very accurate. I prefer Portra 160 or 400VC for portraits. Awesome skintones and vivid colors. It's my favorite print film.

Voo is right. I worked with AGFA Optima and it definitely has a knack for the reds, more so than any Kodak ever made. It is no made for portraits, in my opinion. However, if you want to shoot something that has a lot of reds in it, go for it, you will like it.

Mitica100 said:
voodoocat said:

Voo is right. I worked with AGFA Optima and it definitely has a knack for the reds, more so than any Kodak ever made. It is no made for portraits, in my opinion. However, if you want to shoot something that has a lot of reds in it, go for it, you will like it.

Mitica, I‘ve use Agfa Optima a few time IMO it a little on the soft side, have you had similar results with it.

Jeff Canes said:
Mitica, I‘ve use Agfa Optima a few time IMO it a little on the soft side, have you had similar results with it.

Actually, yes. It is a wee on the soft side.

I don't do a lot of color work, and I've been happy with my results with Kodak color films, but I've always liked Fuji color film the best.

Hey Everyone!
What about B&W film? What would you suggest for B&W wedding photos? I'm mostly familiar w/ Kodak Tri-X 400. Should I be looking at another film?

Thanks a Mill for any suggestions you may have!

:wink:

japmula said:
Hey Everyone!
What about B&W film? What would you suggest for B&W wedding photos? I'm mostly familiar w/ Kodak Tri-X 400. Should I be looking at another film?

Thanks a Mill for any suggestions you may have!

:wink:

Tri-X 400 tends to be grainy. I would look at the Ilford films.

I use Kodak Tmax 100 for the posed pics (camera on tripod), and Ilford HP5+ 400 for hand held shots. Even in 35mm size Tmax 100 makes wonderful enlargements.

I've just started using Tri-X rated at ISO 1250 (ISO 1000 for 120 size) developed in Diafine for low light work; I've been very impressed so far.

But over all I'd recommend going with film that you are familiar and comfortable with. Most of the film out there is pretty good these days; it just depends on the photographer's individual flavor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back