Film Holder Causing Light Leak?

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Used two of the same film holders (I have 18 in total) and all 4 of my images have more or less the same light leak it looks like. Anyone have any thoughts on the issue? Is it the holder? The camera? Maybe the shop who processed the film?

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Did you shoot more than just those 4 sheets to have processed by the lab?

I would suspect the film holders and run some film through them, as well as others. Have them all developed together and see if the other holders display the issue. If they don't, then it's the holders. If they do, then it's the lab.

One way to eliminate the lab as a possible source is to........ eliminate the lab. Try sending a few sheets to another lab. Or develop it yourself.

Also, try rotating your film 180° next time you load up and see if the light leak appears on the opposite side/end of the film. That would be the clincher.

Thanks for the advice. Theres only one shop in town that will process 4x5 and they have always been great in the past.

I have two of the other film holders loaded so ill shoot those and ill try the 180 on these two holders and see what happens.

alright so with the other holders, Im having the same issue on the same side.

I wonder if that side of the back of the camera does not seal against the film holder?

It does not look as extreme but its still there.

I'm not convinced its the film holder. Notice how the parts on the right side and top that are normally complacently black because they are covered by parts of the film holder are also effected.

You may have to just put some sheets of film in the holders and lay them out on the table for a while, then develop them without using them in a camera.

If the issue is the film holder, then the light leak will manifest itself. If it's something else, you'll need to narrow it down with further testing. It may be, as you suspect, the film holder not being sealed properly on the camera. And it still might be a light leak in developing, or even just your handling of undeveloped film.

It could also be a fogged batch of film. You may want to try developing a unexposed sheet of film strait out of the package that has never even been in a film holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other possibilities: A leaking bellows. Lens board not seated. Incorrectly-sized hole in lens board for lens used.

I think its the bellows or rear board. The photos I took with the barrel lens have the same issue in the same spot which was a different film stock as well.

Must be something I did because the first three sets of photos I took, did not have this issue. Im going to try to look for a leak this evening with a flash light and a dark room.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back