Film: how realistic/practical/costly is it for me?

Who ever said anything about megabytes? I don't care what the file size is, I'm talking about pixel quantity.

The more pixels, the larger the file size. So, file size and pixel count
(resolution) are directly related.

BTW, the cost you quoted above for processing your color film --
does that include prints?

If you are going to scan the negs, you don't need prints and the
cost should be significantly lower if you skip the prints. I have a
little lab near me that will "process only" a roll of C-41 for only $3.50.

Have you asked your lab if they can do that?

No, file size, pixel count are only related with file format and compression are added into the equation. A 10mp TIF will be huge compared to a 10mp JPG.

Who ever said anything about megabytes? I don't care what the file size is, I'm talking about pixel quantity.

We all probably assumed you meant 30 megabytes instead of 30 megapixels, because 30 megapixels is unrealistic for 35mm. You'll just be getting bigger grain particles.

No, file size, pixel count are only related with file format and compression are added into the equation. A 10mp TIF will be huge compared to a 10mp JPG.

Yes, but for any given format, the higher the resolution, the larger the file
size. A higher res TIFF produces a larger file size than a lower res TIFF, etc.
There is a direct relationship between res and file size for each format.

Yes, but for any given format, the higher the resolution, the larger the file
size. A higher res TIFF produces a larger file size than a lower res TIFF, etc.
There is a direct relationship between res and file size for each format.

But it doesn't translate so evenly between film capture and digital capture. Digital capture uses the pixels much more efficiently. If it really took 30mp to match 35mm film no pro would have switched yet.

You should be talking about print quality. Anyway, you've apparently got your mind made up, because the popular consensus reached years ago is that it only takes an 8mp APS DSLR to match 35mm film quality at ISO 100.

Screw the math. There are many things beside it that effect image quality. Make a 16"x24" print from 35mm using your standard workflow, and one from a DSLR with your standard workflow. See which one you like better. That's all that matters. I have no doubt that I'm getting much, much sharper, cleaner, more detailed prints from my mere 12mp 5D than I ever got from 35mm Tmax 100 (heck, I'll take the 5D over 6x7 Tmax 100), but that doesn't mean the next guy will get those results too.

OK, I understand that a DSLR can outdo 35mm and smaller medium formats. Consider this simply an experiment for me, then. It's not like it cost me a whole lot of money.

BTW, the cost you quoted above for processing your color film --
does that include prints?

If you are going to scan the negs, you don't need prints and the
cost should be significantly lower if you skip the prints. I have a
little lab near me that will "process only" a roll of C-41 for only $3.50.

Have you asked your lab if they can do that?

Many labs won't, Mine does not I have tried, it's a pain in the ass, I have a truckload of worthless prints.....:( There is definately no harm in asking and if it is possible and there is something you want a print from it's not much different than getting digital prints.

The Walmart near me does process only for about $2, if you get single prints it's about $10. Doubles are $14. I think a those prices are for a 36 exposure roll. A CD with the files is like an extra $0.50.

Most reactions

Back