Film in paper developer?

doobs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got some Agfa Neutol paper developer sitting around and I'm out of film developer, however, I've got a bunch of film that needs developing. Rather than wait to have chemicals come to me, why not use what I have? The question is this: can I use said Neutol as a film developer? Has anyone done it before? What will I need to do?

yes, it has been done, usually with dektol, but you could give it a try, expect a lot of unusal grain.

I've used Dektol. I'm assuming, Doobs, that you'll have to dilute that developer substantially because paper developers are designed to work fast...Where's Helen when you need her? This seems right up her alley... ;-)

Haha, yeah, Neal, I was hoping for a response from her.

I figured the bit about the grain, but I wasn't sure of the dilution or times.

Back in Photo 101 the lab tech accidentally filled the D-76 jugs with Dektol. I developed a couple of rolls of Tmax 400 in it. The grain was significantly coarser than normal.

Back in Photo 101 the lab tech accidentally filled the D-76 jugs with Dektol. I developed a couple of rolls of Tmax 400 in it. The grain was significantly coarser than normal.

How was the exposure? Did you develop for the standard time?

Most reactions

Back