Film is Still Alive

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by cgw, Mar 16, 2018.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nice video from Take Kayo(bigheadtaco)on why film persists. Film photography seems alive and well(and growing in popularity) in Toronto and Vancouver. I can live with the slight inconvenience of no lab closer than a 45 minute drive away in exchange for stores that sell tons of film and labs that do pro-grade work quickly, consistently and affordably.

The Analogue Photography Series: Film is Still Alive

• Like Like x 2
  2. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well... I don't know about alive and well. Maybe there's still a pulse.

For what I do, it's just not practical. The vast majority of my work is for advertising. Ultimately, everything ends up digital... whether scanned or direct capture. There simply isn't enough gained in using film to offset the additional days added to production time. And of course there's the added cost of production.

I was very late to move to digital, but simply had to if I wanted to continue working.

-Pete

• Like Like x 1
  3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm assuming you're doing a simple DSLR v. 35mm film camera comparison. But when you add medium and large formats to the equation, things aren't so cut and dried.
    There are distinct advantages using medium format that 35mm can't touch. And large format easily adds even more advantages.
    Increased resolution, for one. And camera systems that don't have fixed flange-to-focal plane lenses don't suffer from coma, astigmatism, flare and soft corners caused by the addition of extra lens elements required by fixed-FFL rigs.
    Then there's the movements available to many medium and large formats. Yes there's tilt/shift lenses for 35mm, but they're extremely limited compared to their lens-board mounted cousins.
    Yes there are things film can do better than digital. Whether those things are an advantage to you or anyone specifically, that's a different matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pip_dog

pip_dog TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Lots of people at my university camera club are hybrid shooters, using both film and digital. The appeal to the millennial and younger generations is, I think, the novelty of doing something that can be completely divorced from digital apparatus when they themselves have grown up in a world increasingly dominated by the computerized. Holding a physical print that you made yourself or was developed in a lab is a totally different feeling than looking at your Instagram portfolio on a phone screen. Is a digital image worth less than a physical print? Depends on context, on use, and on the starting conditions of the system in which worth is determined.
    I think an interesting product of the draw towards physical artifacts is the emergence of walk-in tintype studios

5. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nothing wrong with 35mm. I would like to buy an 100 ft. roll of Fugi color film

6. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    In Lincoln, UK, there is a thriving film community. I occasionally ask my local dev lab how things are going and they tell me that their mini-lab is in daily use - not what they would have said ten years ago when it was in continual use but enough films coming to make it worthwhile to fire up daily.

As Sparky pointed out, there are advantages beyond a straight digital v 35 mm debate. To that I would add the cameras available. I use medium format cameras with leaf shutters which make a big difference to the image compared to the ubiquitous focal plane shutters of digital cameras. This means my photographs are taken with a continuously variable aperture which varies in each shot from f/∞ to the set aperture and back to f/∞ - there are implications here for DOF, bokeh, and resolution.

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Oh yeah... I was speaking just from my standpoint.

I'm not a rock-star level photographer... more of a meat and potatoes sort of guy. Outside of slides for presentations, I never shot 35mm. The vast majority of my work was 4x5 chrome.

Working about 60 miles south of Chicago, any pro lab was at least an hour away. So... if I shot a job on Monday, I'd overnight the film to the lab. Even though normal turn-around was just 3 hours, I had another overnight back to me for Wednesday delivery. THEN... after making final selections of the brackets, another overnight back for scans... getting that back to me by Monday.

So with the cost of the film and processing, along with 4 overnight shipping charges, added up quick. And made my production time a full week.

I don't miss the added worry of the courier losing my film.

Sure... I miss the swings and tilts. I had learn a bunch of Photoshop very quickly.

I dunno... I think I can still see the "digital" in my portrait work too. AND it seemed that most labs were starting to scan my negs for printing.

I finally HAD to give in and buy a digital system.

If I was doing fine art... I'm pretty sure I'd have to set up a darkroom again.

-Pete

8. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    there several types of shutters on vintage film cameras. I like the Nikon metal curtain type. vin

9. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot both. I just like the process of developing and the look of film. No darkroom yet. I guess I'm lucky in that I started late in life, when film was arguably considered dead. No years of processing that made me want to forget about it.

10. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually enjoy souping the film. I shoot film all spring, summer and autumn then use the long, cold dark winter nights to develop it all. Very therapeutic for me. Same for making wet prints.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You also benefited from the much lower prices of developing tanks, etc. Fortunately, when I dismantled my darkroom, nobody wanted any of my enlargers, tanks, jobo processors, etc., so I ended up putting everything in storage. Now I can use my Jobo to soup B&W and E-6 film, the enlarging lenses re being used for macro work, and the enlargers make good copy stands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Would someone like to see if any of my 90s Kodak is salvageable? Going to be a lot of aircraft that are no longer flying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk