Film lens on SLR body?

Annamas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at expanding my Lens collection. I was just wondering what I will be sacrificing if I pick up a Film lens for my Canon 30D body.

I know technically focal lengths are different because of the sensor.

The lens I am looking at is a 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus
Canon | 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens | 2515A003 | B&H Photo

Would it be better for me to just one up to a digital lens, the EF-S 30mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus. Canon | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens | 0284B002

The lens will predominatly be used for street / some portraiture and a general all around prime lens.

That first lens will work just fine on your 30D (it will give the same field of view as an 80mm prime 50 X 1.6 = 80) and will work on any other Canon camera.

The EF-S lens won't work on a full frame Canon, it will work on your 30D.

On a crop the 50 is too long for shooting street but should do well for portraiture.

I'm looking at expanding my Lens collection. I was just wondering what I will be sacrificing if I pick up a Film lens for my Canon 30D body.

I know technically focal lengths are different because of the sensor.

The lens I am looking at is a 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus
Canon | 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens | 2515A003 | B&H Photo

Would it be better for me to just one up to a digital lens, the EF-S 30mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus. Canon | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro Autofocus Lens | 0284B002

The lens will predominatly be used for street / some portraiture and a general all around prime lens.

Focal length is Focal length. Focal lenght is determined by the construcion of the lens. It has nothing to do with the sensor size of the camera you are putting it on. The 1st lens is a 50mm the second is a 60mm.

Sensor size determines the amount of the projected field of view from any lens that the sensor will pick up from the lens. An EF lens provides a projected field of view that will fill a 35mm frame size. (36mm x 24mm) An EF-S lens has a projected field of view that will fill an APS-C size sensor. (approx 15mm x 22.5mm)

On a full frame camera you will get vingetting from the projected field of view from an EF-S lens. With an EF lens on an APS-C body the sensor will pick up the center area of the projected field of view from that EFS lens.

The 50mm EF lens listed above is still 10mm shorter than the 60mm EF-S lens listed above.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/full_frame_vs_aps-c.html

Most reactions

Back