film negative scanning

cyberbaffled

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There wasn't a specific discussion category for scanning, so I'll try here. I need a 120 film negative scanner that's not reflective; i.e., that doesn't work like a flatbed scanner. I need a scanner where the light passes directly through the transparency. The only machine I can find is the Nikon Super Coolscan with a price around $10,000 dollars. In fact, when I do a web search for transparency scanner that's the only choice that's found. Incredible! Does anyone know of any less expensive machine?

The Epson V600 is pretty decent too - little brother of the V700/V750, I guess. Considerably less expensive.

As far as I can tell, the main feature missing on the V600 is large format capability. The V700 does have higher resolution, but I rarely scan at the highest resolution, so that is sort of a moot point for me.

I just got a V600 last week, don't recall if it can handle 120 though. Did a very good job scanning slides and color negatives though. I paid $190.

I just got a V600 last week, don't recall if it can handle 120 though. Did a very good job scanning slides and color negatives though. I paid $190.
Yes, it can scan 120. It should have came with a film holder for 35mm and another for 120.

Although a flatbed in design, the V700 is capable of scanning transparencies by passing light through the medium via another light built into the top of the unit.

Although my use of mine has waned down over the years, I am very happy with it.

Scanner Review: Epson Perfection V700

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/62119-epson-v700-experiences.html

I have one of those, works great for 120 film scans, 35mm not so much. Or get a Nikon Cool Scan. You can find a Nikon 9000 for around $2000-6000. I just sold mine on E-Bay for $2500 with 4 film holders. I do not need it because I can scan my negs at work on a Noritzu 1800....it's a $25,000 scanner and it's one of the best.

How many scans do you need to do?

If it's not too many you can knock together a light table and take macro shots with a DSLR and stitch them together.

Here's an article to get you started. If you want finer detail than your dslr gives go with stitching as I mentioned. How to Scan Film Negatives with a DSLR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back