Film newbie questions

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
-What do you need for developing a 35mm B&W film?
-How do you develop a film roll? FYI, The apartment that I live in right now is not spacious enough for a full-fledged darkroom.

Can anyone explain these in layman's language. :)

Thanks,
Dan :)

What do you need:

a tank and reel
developer
stop bath (not required, but good in many eyes)
fixer
hypoclear
photoflo or other wash agent
running water
a dark room or a changing bag to load the film
someplace to hang the film to dry

How to develop:
1. Load the film onto the reel and place it in the tank . This must be done in total darkness!
2. A quick prewash of the film, just some water (about 68 degs, try to keep all your chemicals at this temp) for 30 sec to a minute, swish and dump
3. Develop - time will depend upon the chemical and film used. Agitate according to the directions or personal preference
4. Start dump of developer when time is 15 sec away from being up
5. Add stop bath for appropriate time, then dump (can usually be reused, so dump back into a graduate)
6. Fixer - fix for appropriate time. (can often be reused, check with hypo-chek)
7. Fill and dump 3 times.
8. hypoclear - I can't remember how long I do this 1 or 2 minutes
9. Wash for 10 minutes in running water
10. photoflo - do not rinse off
11. hang to dry

Developing the film is easy to do without a darkroom, as once you have the film loaded into the light proof developing tank, you can be anywhere. I used to develop film while watching TV. Printing is what requires some space.

I've used a changing bag to load the film onto the reels just sitting on the living room couch, then gone into the kitchen, lined up my chemicals in order of use, and developed at the kitchen sink!

Matt's right; developing your own film is not a big deal once you buy a few things (Orie's list is great). Then you can at least inspect them at home, and decide which ones you'd like to see printed. Or - invest in a good film scanner (if you don't already have one) and play with them in PS! :D You can do whatever you want with them once developed.

Have fun!

Thanks Orie. I need to print that info.

oriecat said:
2. A quick prewash of the film, just some water (about 68 degs, try to keep all your chemicals at this temp) for 30 sec to a minute, swish and dump
Its not that I'm going to develop a roll right this instant, but how do we control the temperature of the water? Is it just "warm" water? Or do I need a thermometer? How is it done usually?

You need a thermometer for sure. You can either mix the chems with the appropriate temp of water, or you can put the chems in metal or plastic containers, and stick them all in a tub of 68 degree F water. In 10 min or so they'll all be the same temp.

ksmattfish said:
Printing is what requires some space.
I would eventually want to do that. I like the idea of creating authentic Gelatin Silver prints in this world of portable kiosks :).

And yes Terri, I plan to start with a film scanner.

Does it have to be precisely 68 degree F? If yes, how do we get that precision?

danalec99 said:
Does it have to be precisely 68 degree F? If yes, how do we get that precision?

Lots of different ways. First off, buy yourself that darkroom thermometer with a long stemmed probe. You can run some of the water you'll use straight out of the tap; then have water chilled and ready to pour while you mix your chemistry, add a little at a time while checking with the thermometer. These thermometers are extremely sensitive and fast-acting; it's not as odious a task as it sounds. :wink: My husband prefers to use smaller graduates that fit into larger ones or bowls with chilled water, this also works pretty fast in cooling.

You'll develop (no pun intended) a method that you like best once you've done it a few times. :D

Thanks terri, oriecat, Matt for the valuable input. I shall get back here soon as I get all the stuff!

Cheers! :)

ok, to expound on that a little further..in order to do prints, all you need at that point is the enlarger right? :?:

MDowdey said:
ok, to expound on that a little further..in order to do prints, all you need at that point is the enlarger right? :?:

enlarger
enlarger lens
neg carriers
enlarger timer
multicontrast filters
print easel
paper and chems (containers and measuring cups for chems)
thermometer
print trays
print tongs
processing timer (could be as simple as a kitchen timer, or clock on the wall with second hand)
print washer (can be as simple as a tray of water)
somewhere to dry the prints: hanging from a line, or on a screen
safelight

I think that's it. Probably forgot something.

this sounds like a relatively easy process, other than getting the chems to the right temperature. here is SC, you would be hard pressed to get anything to 68deg in the summer time :)

now as far as 120 goes, same process? or a bigger tank and reel?

md

Most reactions

Back