Film preference?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
35mm, any preference on brand? there are several on B&H, i don't know quality of brands as i am new to film photography.

will be shooting a Nikon FM (chrome body) w/ a f/1.8 50mm.

EDIT: looking for B&W negative film, dont know much about the speed, so whatever produces the highest quality image (considering it is shot appropriately). any information is welcomed! thanks in advance

Last edited:
Are you asking about:

Positive or Negative
B&W or Colour

Each film has it's own characteristics ... these tend to be personal choices.

Are you asking about:

Positive or Negative
B&W or Colour

Each film has it's own characteristics ... these tend to be personal choices.

Roll Film this was my search query, tell me if I am looking at the wrong items

35mm film in which to take pictures with on my Nikon FM, black and white

what do you mean when you say Positive or Negative? I know what each one is, but I don't understand the question

There are 4 basic types of 35mm film:

1.- color print (aka color negative)
when developed it produces a negative image (reversed tones and colors) which was originally
designed for printing to a positive print in a darkroom but can also be scanned with a computer
scanner and printed via computer printer. This is the most common type of film and can be
processed most anywhere that processes film. It is also the easiest to shoot as it is forgiving
of exposure errors (up to a point)

2. - color slide (aka color positive aka color reversal)
when developed it produces a positive image (correct tones and colors) which can be directly viewed, projected or printed
either in a darkroom or via computer scan/print. Uses a different chemical process from #1 above. These days not all
film processing businesses can process it.

3. - traditional black & white
produces a B&W negative when processed. Uses different chemical processes from the others. These days not all film
processing businesses can process it.

4. - chromogenic black & white
- produces a B&W negative when processed. Uses the same chemical process as #1 above.

I know what each one is, but I don't understand the question
He was asking which you prefer.

You didn't provide much information on what you were looking for...

I'll answer your question was simply as you asked it. Fuji.

Every brand has good films and bad films... Of course, what is a good film to you might be a bad film to me, or vise versa...

If you just want to know what the 'main brands' are: Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, Efke, and Foma are probably the most common ones (for B&W anyway).

There are 4 basic types of 35mm film:

1.- color print (aka color negative)
when developed it produces a negative image (reversed tones and colors) which was originally
designed for printing to a positive print in a darkroom but can also be scanned with a computer
scanner and printed via computer printer. This is the most common type of film and can be
processed most anywhere that processes film. It is also the easiest to shoot as it is forgiving
of exposure errors (up to a point)

2. - color slide (aka color positive aka color reversal)
when developed it produces a positive image (correct tones and colors) which can be directly viewed, projected or printed
either in a darkroom or via computer scan/print. Uses a different chemical process from #1 above. These days not all
film processing businesses can process it.

3. - traditional black & white
produces a B&W negative when processed. Uses different chemical processes from the others. These days not all film
processing businesses can process it.

4. - chromogenic black & white
- produces a B&W negative when processed. Uses the same chemical process as #1 above.

e x a c t l y what i needed to know. tysm

i normally go with what ever they have at the store. which now days is nothing but 400 or 800 color. if i find b&w i try to get a few.

I know what each one is, but I don't understand the question
He was asking which you prefer.

You didn't provide much information on what you were looking for...

I'll answer your question was simply as you asked it. Fuji.

Every brand has good films and bad films... Of course, what is a good film to you might be a bad film to me, or vise versa...

If you just want to know what the 'main brands' are: Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, Efke, and Foma are probably the most common ones (for B&W anyway).

i was mostly looking for any preference of brand, i (now) know that i want b&w negative.

I use an Epson V600. I want to say it was around $500...? I can't remember now.

I used to have a PlusTek OpticFilm 7300 that I liked too (not sure what the latest version is now). I think it was around $250. That can only do one frame at a time though, and 35mm only (film strips or mounted slides).

Those are the only ones I have direct experience with. For my needs, either of them are fine.

Though, if you think you might want to get into medium format later, it might be best to skip anything that can only do 35mm...

I use an Epson V600. I want to say it was around $500...? I can't remember now.

I used to have a PlusTek OpticFilm 7300 that I liked too (not sure what the latest version is now). I think it was around $250. That can only do one frame at a time though, and 35mm only (film strips or mounted slides).

Those are the only ones I have direct experience with. For my needs, either of them are fine.

im pretty sure the photo teacher at my school has that epson.. is it worth it? perheps i can find one on the bay of e >__>

It was worth it to me.

Not that it was a deal breaker or anything, but you can also use it for scanning regular stuff like documents too. Saves you from needing two scanners at least...

It was worth it to me.

Not that it was a deal breaker or anything, but you can also use it for scanning regular stuff like documents too. Saves you from needing two scanners at least...

yeah, we just got a fancy wireless canon, so i'm good on the scanner piece. ill just browse around on ebay, its not a necessity for me.

Since you're taking a class, you might want to make sure there isn't some specific film they want you to use... Sometimes they'll want the whole class to use the same film/developer for everything...

If that were the case, hopefully they would have told you though. :lol: Kodak Plus-X is probably the one I see most film classes asking you to use. (Arista Premium 100 at Freestyle is the same thing. But if they're asking for a specific film, I would just get whatever that is.)

If it doesn't matter which film you use, that's still a good one to start with. Basically, any Kodak/Fuji/Ilford/Arista/Legacy 100 or 400 ISO film would be a good starting point until you figure out what you like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back