Film Problem!

TypedBiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, there! My name is TypedBiscuit and i'm pretty new to film photography and new to this forum (1st post in fact). Ive taken a few rolls with my dads old Olympus OM1, and I recently purchased a Minolta Himatic 9. Its in super nice condition and everything appears to be in good working order. I took my first roll of film from the Minolta to get developed today and naturally I was super excited. Well 10 minutes after I dropped it off they called me and told me something along the lines of "the whole roll of film had been exposed". Is there something wrong with the camera? Or is it the film? If anyone can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it and will promptly grant you +1000 internets.

we w ould need more information; ie. scan a piece of the negative so we can view, or they should be able to shed some light on this (no pun intended)

perhaps the shutter is sticking . open the camera back and fire off the shutter at various speeds and see what happens. Just hold the camera up to a strong light source so you can see the aperture open and close.

Did you leave that roll of film in the heat? In a hot car, in the sun?
Maybe there was a light leak, check the back of your camera.

P.S.: lol to that unintentional pun: "shed some light" on this. :lol:

we w ould need more information; ie. scan a piece of the negative so we can view, or they should be able to shed some light on this (no pun intended)

perhaps the shutter is sticking . open the camera back and fire off the shutter at various speeds and see what happens. Just hold the camera up to a strong light source so you can see the aperture open and close.

:lol: oh jeez! I saw the "shed some light" on the OP's post, aww. I thought I was the only clever one to see it was a pun.:grumpy::lol:

I dont have a scanner, or the negative (at CVS still...). I followed your suggestion and it appears that the shutter is in 100% working order.

Did you leave that roll of film in the heat? In a hot car, in the sun?
Maybe there was a light leak, check the back of your camera.

P.S.: lol to that unintentional pun: "shed some light" on this. :lol:
Not the roll by itself. But my camera did sit in my car while I was at work a couple of times. It was in its leather case or in my backpack at all times. Not direct sunlight though. Is that a problem? Boo unintentional pun hrrmph ha

Lol ;P Um yes, heat has the same effect as light for film.
GA is pretty hot..that's probably what spoiled it.

Just for teh heck of it... Open the back n fire a few times at different speeds to see if the shutter is actually opening n closing correctly? Is the iris in hte lens closing down properly?

Is the exposure on that camera automatic? Battery condition?

It takes alot of heat to ruin a roll of fim, not just a few minutes, it takes hours n hours of extream heat to black it out.

Try another roll at a test target n see if the results are any better?

The OM1 is a great camera. I have one for nearly 30 years that just won't quit. The meter was never accurate anyway, although still in the ball park.

I don't think a few days in the heat would ruin it...

You weren't very clear in your first post... Was the whole roll under exposed, or over exposed? Is this the only roll of film you've ran through the camera? (Is the problem with the film, or the camera?)

Just for teh heck of it... Open the back n fire a few times at different speeds to see if the shutter is actually opening n closing correctly? Is the iris in hte lens closing down properly?

Is the exposure on that camera automatic? Battery condition?

It takes alot of heat to ruin a roll of fim, not just a few minutes, it takes hours n hours of extream heat to black it out.

Try another roll at a test target n see if the results are any better?

The OM1 is a great camera. I have one for nearly 30 years that just won't quit. The meter was never accurate anyway, although still in the ball park.

I watched the shutter and it appears to be working fine.
I just put a new battery in it. And I'm not sure what you mean by "Is the exposure on the camera automatic" -it has an automatic and a manual mode, both of which I used on that roll.
That is precisely what I plan on doing now.
I love my OM1, I used to play with it when I was a little kid, you know be a spy with the 200 m zoom lense :D. Now to be taking pictures with it is awesome.
I don't think a few days in the heat would ruin it...
You weren't very clear in your first post... Was the whole roll under exposed, or over exposed? Is this the only roll of film you've ran through the camera? (Is the problem with the film, or the camera?)
I'm not sure, though i'd assume over exposed. I havent gotten the negative from CVS , I dont think they could even develop it. And yes, it was the first roll of film that ive put through it.

yes, they can develop it, and seeing the negatives will help lead to an answer

By Automatic, the camera decides wwhat the exposures will be, no you. If the battery is low or dead the exposures suffer.

Let's see how your next rolls turn out. I'm sure you will get better results, it's just Murphy's law at work.

Are you going to use a hand held meter with the OM1 or rule of 16 guestimates?

Have fun n shoot lots of film. It keeps film makers in business n us photographers happy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back