film processing at home

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just how reliable are the little kits that come in a plastic bucket that let you develop film negatives at home in terms to sending it to an actual lab?

What kit comes in a plastic bucket? Seriously, I don't think I've seen anything like that so not sure what you mean.

You don't say whether B&W or Colour, but all are easy to do at home and you don't need a darkroom unless you want to print as well. I used to do C41 and E6 processing on a regular basis and it's very easy.

Ian

PatersonMulti-Reel 3 Developing Tank

They put it out as really really really easy to do at home. SO I really have to get actual user input on the whole do it at home process considering the actual film labs put it out as being "must rinse film off between steps with unicorn tears collected on a full moon" sort of difficult

About as complicated as steak dinner.

Its what you make of it.

In all seriousness its akin to home brewing beer. You just have to do it.

Follow the instructions and it'll be fine

Yes, it is easy for B&W 35mm/120 film developing.
The hardest part is putting the undeveloped film onto the reel ... in the dark.
The rest if it is just measuring chemicals, pouring, agitating, dumping, pouring, agitating, dumping, pouring, agitating, dumping, then final wash.
There are probably lots of youtube videos of this process.

PatersonMulti-Reel 3 Developing Tank

They put it out as really really really easy to do at home. SO I really have to get actual user input on the whole do it at home process considering the actual film labs put it out as being "must rinse film off between steps with unicorn tears collected on a full moon" sort of difficult

It is really really easy to develop at home. Paterson tanks are good tanks. I can even tell you how to develop film using instant coffee if you want.

Seriously, the first couple of times will be a bit nerve-wracking but then the first time you pull out a strip of film with images, you'll be hooked. And then you will do it a bunch more times and you will realize how easy it really is and kinda boring, too.

B&W...easy, temp is not "that" critical...

... and kinda boring, too.
I have to remember the next time I develop some film to bring my laptop in the bathroom to watch Netflix.

I also generally make sure I've got beer in the house when I've got a bunch of developing to do. Don't know why beer is more suitable than wine or bourbon, but it just is.

This just reminds me of how much of a backlog I've got :boggled:

To ME, prossessing B&W is easy, the hardest part is finding a DUST-FREE place to dry the film.
Second is learning how to load the film onto the reel.
OK learning how to load the film onto the reel is #1, cuz you get nowhere if you can't load the reel.
As for reels, there are those that swear by the plastic reels, and those like me who swear at them.
Similarly there are those like me who swear by stainless steel reels, and those that swear at them.
Plastic reels are probably the easier to learn. But they HAVE to be CLEAN and dry.

Last edited:
Getting the film onto the roll in the tank is hard But I used to have a light tight bag that sat on the lap. An old roll of film and play whilst watching the tv. After a time the hands just know the feel of what to do so when in the dark room or for real in the bag it’s not a prob

instant coffee sounds like an interesting way.

To ME, prossessing B&W is easy, the hardest part is finding a DUST-FREE place to dry the film.
Second is learning how to load the film onto the reel.
OK learning how to load the film onto the reel is #1, cuz you get nowhere if you can't load the reel.
As for reels, there are those that swear by the plastic reels, and those like me who swear at them. Similarly there are those like me who swear by stainless steel reels, and those that swear at them. Plastic reels are probably the easier to learn.

Drying the film dust free at home: Run a string/line/whatever to clothespin the film on above the bathtub. Wait till everyone has gone to bed and won't need the bathroom. Run the hot water shower and steam up the room. Turn off the hot water and with the room still steamy hang the film, leave and shut the door -- spotless dry film in the morning.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back