Film question

vera979

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is in your opinion the best film in terms of image sgarpness ,contrast and color?
Thank you!
Vera

Depends on what you are shooting.

For the most part you'll have trouble finding a 'bad' 100 color film. Most work fairly well. A lot of it is finding a film with subtle characteristic that you like.

Just buy a roll or two of some films and see which ones you like the most.

well, fugi Velvia 50 is by far the best color film available. but it is slide.
I like Fugi reala 100 for negative color film.
Ilford Pan F 50 for black and white

fightheheathens said:
well, fugi Velvia 50 is by far the best color film available

Heh, heh, well that's a matter of opinion. Those who like realistic colours may look elsewhere...

Dave

Can't resist commenting on Selmerdave's post.

It appears that we may be in the process of developing [sorry!] two schools of thought here -- and possibly an important distinction.

The first is best exemplified by the beautiful effects available through means such as PhotoShop/digital, IR and Lith. Here, 'accurate' rendition of the colors and tones in the original scene are manipulated to produce an often magnificent effect.

The second is a striving for a close simulation of the original subject's actual color and tonal values, with the only manipulation being the adjustment toward that goal and the mapping of a three-dimensional world onto a two-dimensional surface [OK, you Stereo Realist folks do have a point.]

Kinda like the difference between the salon painters and the Impressionists, no?

selmerdave said:
Heh, heh, well that's a matter of opinion. Those who like realistic colours may look elsewhere...
Dave

there are no "realistic colours" anyway, but I agree for skin tones velvia is not the best choice.

i think what he means is that many people say that velvia often produces colors that are very saturated (too saturated) and unrealistic.

that is why some call it disneycolor ;) and this strikes most with skin tones ... but you will not really notice when it comes to architecture, or some wildlife scenes. OK, if the trees are very green anyway and the sky is very blue, then velvia might just carry it all over the edge. ;)

vera979 said:
What is in your opinion the best film in terms of image sgarpness ,contrast and color?
Thank you!
Vera

For 35mm I would vote for KM25.

For larger formats it would be EP100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back