Film Questions

Gaerek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I have a Canon AE-1 that my dad gave me about 10 years ago while I was in high school, so I could learn photography. Unfortunately, I haven't used it in about 8 years. I never really learned much when I had it. It also became cost prohibitive to use (college!) and I got out of photography. A few years ago, I got back into the digital side of photography, and completely forgot about my AE-1 until I found it a few weeks ago.

Here's my question. I'd like to run a couple rolls of film through it to see if I want to keep it or sell it (might not sell it even if I don't want to use it, lol). I don't want to load it with cheap consumer level film, but I know absolutely nothing about film. What are some types of color film that are higher quality, or better yet, what is some film that I should stay away from? I might also want to try some B&W, but again, I have no idea what would be considered good or bad B&W film.

I'd like to know about a variety of brands if possible. I'm not sure what brands are available locally, though I think the local shop used to have mainly Agfa (trying to remember from way back when). I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for using search. Thank you very much in advance.

At your skill level film type won't make much of a difference. I started shooting film a few months ago and use Fuji Superia 400. It was only $8 for 5 rolls of 24 exposures each.

I would keep the AE-1. You could do a lot of unique things with film, and besides, you won't get much for it anyway.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

I think I'll just get what's cheap and see what I can do with that. Thanks a bunch!

Most reactions

Back