Film rebounding

You don't get it do you?

Hey, I was born with it, man.

But, the question is: Do ya feel lucky?

Well, do ya?

A slight short term uptick versus a long term resurgence.
Let's see ... a 45% increase in a year is a "short term uptick."
OK, thanks. I'll make a note of that.

It's not that hard to figure out.
You're exactly right. Its not hard to figure out at all.

Hey, you got any gum?

The only problem I see is what factor of the b&w increases, makes up for the continuing decline of color? Are we at a stale mate? Or is total film use as a whole still going down?

I wonder if black and white will outlast color film?

Good questions.

Perhaps the increase in B&W is due to the disappearing photo labs and the
fact that B&W is easier to self-process.

The part you don't get is, the stats are flawed. His customer based changed as his marketing strategy changed. In order to get accurate sales data, you need consistency.
His sales increased because he went online. hmmm... wow, that means more people are shooting B&W.
You have a small firm, selling a very small portion of the market. Also the fact he has garnered sales from those that have exited the business.
I just don't trust his data. Mock me all you want, but I just don't think there is sufficient data to claim a resurgence is going on, especially when my own data contradicts it.
But hey, I understand. If you want something to happen bad enough, you can skew the data to make you feel good.
Whatever works for you I guess.

_

interest is up in my area including more people taking my darkroom classes including some that had only been using digital.

just as a disclaimer. i teach both digital and traditional photography including alternative processes.

and yes i could , if you needed it, :sexywink:

how about some cyanotypes?

and yes i could , if you needed it, :sexywink:

how about some cyanotypes?

Funny you should mention cyanotypes, I did a Digital conversion to cyanotype as a political statment about monocolor....the image flopped so horribly it was not even funny, but then again the base image sucked anyway but still.

Last edited:
there you go, you can't make "cow paddies" into terrific images.

the real cyanotype is so easy and cheap

When wanting to get an X-700 on the cheap through Craigslist or eBay, was surprised on how much people were getting for the bodies or with minimal kits. Since Christmas is nearing, not sure if this is a seasonal thing or if there are "collectors" at work in buying up these used items. Nikkor manual focus lenses are certainly commanding decent prices.

In another thread, someone was talking about how difficult it was to purchase Tmax 400 B&W while Kodak stated it's production was the same. Kodak came out with a new line of Ektar 100 (35mm) in what, April of this year?

On the flipside: Someone suggested I use Fuji Velvia for landscape shots. Yet finding someone to process it looks like it is going to be a real challenge since E-6/CR-56 labs are dying out. So it may just be that business is really good for the Wal-Marts and various drugstores; processing for all the cheap P&S camera, throw-aways and those SLR's already out there.

interest is up in my area including more people taking my darkroom classes including some that had only been using digital.

just as a disclaimer. i teach both digital and traditional photography including alternative processes.

They're way up in my area too (So. Calif.) . I've been going to camera
shows (which are primarily film oriented) since the 1970s and I watched
them dwindle as the "digital revolution" first took hold. About 2 years ago
they seemed to hit bottom as far as attendance and sellers went. But,
last year and this year there has been an obvious upswing. Attendance
has at least doubled and possibly tripled recently. Lots more young people
attending too who are interested in film and think it's cool. I spent the day
at a camera show today and it was packed with attendees from beginning
to end -- something I haven't seen in years. And this has become a
normal sight these days.

Most reactions

Back