Film Scanner?

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just heard about this today...I can scan my negatives straight into my computer? It would save a lot of money if they I went to the drug store to develop the negatives only (if that even cost less than getting the negatives with prints) then just scan them into my computer as positives?

I just heard about this today...I can scan my negatives straight into my computer? It would save a lot of money if they I went to the drug store to develop the negatives only (if that even cost less than getting the negatives with prints) then just scan them into my computer as positives?

Its even cheaper if you develop your own film.

Yes you can scan your own negatives and/or prints; I've scanned in some of my prints I did in the darkroom. They turn out well except they tend to have a bluish tint so I've had to remove color to get the scanned print back to its original B&W format. (I mention that since it looks like you have a few vintage film cameras.)

As options are more limited locally I started sending film out to be developed; some places will develop the film, and you have the option to have it scanned, and prints made if you want but I find that places offer choices. The cost varies depending on how much you have done and I do a combination of things, it just depends on what I'll want to do with the photos.

Often, the time and money to buy a GOOD negative scanner will negate the value if you are only doing scanning sparingly. A good negative scanner can cost as much as another camera. Sometimes, its easier to have someone else do the scanning for you if its a one shot thing. I have also heard some using a slide holder to take pictures of the negatives.

Scanning also tedious boring work.... and yes its cheaper if you develop your own film. Its easy if B&W.

I personally went with a very good flat bed scanner instead as its more flexible in what it can scan:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/62119-epson-v700-experiences.html

I'm looking through BH website and the scanners I am most familiar with are no longer sold.... so I can't really give a recommendation.

Scanning also tedious boring work.... and yes its cheaper if you develop your own film. Its easy if B&W.

Developing color film is really no harder then developing B&W.

I was looking at developing my own film, I do have a light tight room to do that part in but I don't have room to make my own actual prints with enlargers and chemicals and all that, I live in a very small town house, so even if I did develp my own negatives I still need to go somewhere to get prints of them

I was looking at developing my own film, I do have a light tight room to do that part in but I don't have room to make my own actual prints with enlargers and chemicals and all that, I live in a very small town house, so even if I did develp my own negatives I still need to go somewhere to get prints of them

Bathroom? That's what I used for a little while... but later moved to the basement. 1 bathroom house meant I couldn't hog it to myself once the family grew.

But yeh... a film scanner is an interesting way to enjoy film too. If the V600 I hear is pretty good too and cheaper than the V700.

The thing to be careful with home developing is the disposal of the chemicals if you're on a septic system and not a municipal system. It's not possible to just pour them down the drain. The silver in the fixer is generally the main problem - it'll kill the bacteria that's supposed to be down there taking care of things. I know there are always those who say it's no big deal, and the amount of home developing is so low that it will just dilute to harmless levels. I personally am not willing to test that theory only to end up having to pay for repair/replacement of a septic system.

However you're getting them developed, the negatives can indeed be scanned and it can definitely be worth the cost depending on your use and purposes. It should definitely be cheaper to develop if you're not asking for prints or disks. After you scan them, you can decide what, if anything, you want printed.

Developing color film is really no harder then developing B&W.

Yup I know... but color is less forgiving in regards to temperature.

Controlling the temperature is easier then a lot of people think. You get a digital aquarium heater. A good digital aquarium heater will have a temp sensor connected to the digital control box.

You put the heater and temp sensor into a tub of water that is big enough to hold all your color chemistry bottles and then set the temp. The water bath will bring your chemistry to the proper temp and keep it there. You can also keep your developing tank in the water bath in between agitation to keep the temp of the chemicals in the Dev tank at the proper temp.

Controlling the temperature is easier then a lot of people think. You get a digital aquarium heater. A good digital aquarium heater will have a temp sensor connected to the digital control box.

You put the heater and temp sensor into a tub of water that is big enough to hold all your color chemistry bottles and then set the temp. The water bath will bring your chemistry to the proper temp and keep it there. You can also keep your developing tank in the water bath in between agitation to keep the temp of the chemicals in the Dev tank at the proper temp.

It's tough to find an aquarium heater that goes up to 105.

It's tough to find an aquarium heater that goes up to 105.

http://www.aquacave.com/300W-Titanium-Heater-withD-58-Controller-by-Won-Brothers-P988.aspx
Controls up to 104 just add on a few seconds to your time if your color developer requires 105. Not all color developers do. Some are 100 or 102.

Most reactions

Back